Highlighted

Introductions: Hello from Missouri

Hello from the Middle West!

My name is Jeff but I go by JBG (tho my sons trail-named me "Sponge Bath." Yeah, don't ask...). I grew up in the high Uintas of Utah, but have had the privilege of hiking many other great ranges like the Rockies, the Wind Rivers, the Apennines, the French Alps, and even the Pyrenees. These days I spend most of my time in the Ozarks, the Smokies, or the Ouachitas. Grow where you are planted, no?

I am a faculty member at a University, teaching media, communication, and business communication. In addition to teaching, I run my own global, humanitarian company, which takes me all over the world and trekking through places as diverse as the high plains of East Africa to the deserts of Iraq and Syria (don't go there). I love what I do, but if I could figure out how to make a living with a backpack on my back or a touring bike under my behind, you would rarely see me.

Looking forward to the community and conversations!

JBG

Highlighted

Re: Introductions: Hello from Missouri

@JBG Thanks for the intro and welcome to the community!

You've got quite the breadth of experience, we'll be sure to tap you to help answer questions that pop up. Do you have a number-one-top-destination where you would recommend everyone visit? Also, what kind of bike do you tour with?

Thanks!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

1000 sorries, I did not see you reply!  Number one place to visit, hmmm, tough question. I think I would have to say either the high plains of East Africa just south of Kilimanjaro, or the Pyrennees mountains, from the French side up towards the country of Andorra. 

As to touring bikes, I have been riding a Trek 520 for almost 30 years. All steel frame, yes, a bit on the heavy side, but solid as a rock.

Cheers!

Highlighted

@JBG What a cool background! Since you've spent time in East Africa, have you ever trekked through the Semien Mountains in Northern Ethiopia? Still one of the most breathtaking, unique, spectacular places I have ever been! 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

@REI-SarahS,

No, I have not made it there yet. I have a friend from Eritrea who keeps threatening to take to the mountains there - But not yet.

Cheers,

JBG

Featured
Other boards in this category