Highlighted

Introduce Yourself: John from WV

I have been a member of REI since 1973. My first down sleeping (REI Summerlite) and first tent (REI Crestline Expedition) were ordered from the REI catalog in the mid 70's. About three years ago  I worked part-time for six months at the Settler's Ridge Store in Pittsburgh, PA.

Throughout the years I have enjoyed spelunking in PA and WV, classic lead climbing in WV (Seneca Rocks and New River Gorge) and NY (Gunks), and X-C skiing in NH, NY, PA and WV. Back in the late 70's I took a NOLS Outdoor Educator's Course in the Wind River Range of Wyoming and about fifteen years ago took a LNT Master Educator Course in Shenandoah National Park. I currently enjoy cycling, hiking, backpacking, and flat water kayaking around WV, OH, and PA.

My favorite gear includes the Marmot Pre-Cip Jacket and Pants, most recently purchased at the Settler's Ridge store in Pittsburgh. I think I am on my third or fourth jacket and second or third pair of pants. I rarely head out onto a trail without them. They are part of my ten essentials.

My favorite day hiking and backpacking destination is the Dolly Sods Wilderness Area in West Virginia, though I do not get there as much as I would like. I have also done a fair amount of hiking and backpacking on the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail in Western Pennsylvania and a lot of day hikes at Raccoon Creek State Park, also in Western PA. Most of my cycling is on rail trails such as the Brooke Pioneer Trail and Wheeling Heritage Trail in the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia, the Panhandle Trail in West Virginia and Pennsylvania,  the Montour Trail in Western Pennsylvania, and the Great Alleghany Passage in Pennsylvania and Maryland. After cutting my kayaking teeth in New York City's Jamaica Bay National Wildlife Refuge, I have enjoyed kayaking along the Atlantic Coast from New York to North Carolina and now on more local lakes and slow moving creeks and rivers.

Highlighted

Re: Introduce Yourself: John from WV

@John now we know who to tap for mid-Atlantic expertise!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

@John just yesterday, we launched a new All Locations landing page and added a bunch of new boards for lots of the places you've lived and recreated - we'd love if you were able to share pictures of these places or suggestions of specific locations to recreate on any/all boards! Thanks! 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

@REI-JenK I will take a look at them. Thanks for the heads up.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Welcome to the forum, John! Cheers!

Featured
Other boards in this category