Highlighted

Hello from the Adirondack Mountains of upstate New York

I'm aware that most people think New York is merely New York City, but the opposite is true. My state runs 300+ miles north of metropolis to the Canadian border and nestled just south of that border is the largest state park in the U.S. - the Adirondack State Park. I grew up in the southern foothills of these mountains on the Great Sacandaga Lake. Spent much of my time fishing and hiking, later got into rock climbing, ice climbing, mountain biking, all types of skiing, backpacking and generally enjoying the wilderness. Photography is one of my favorite hobbies. 

Still morning on Garnet LakeStill morning on Garnet LakeMy daughter watching the sunset on Mt. ColdenMy daughter watching the sunset on Mt. ColdenLake George from Black Mountain.jpgStorm clouds moving out at Mud LakeStorm clouds moving out at Mud Lake

Highlighted

Re: Hello from the Adirondack Mountains of upstate New York

@Kato1953 

Welcome and wow, those are some great photos! We'd love to have you contribute to our thread What's your go-to camera on the trail? We have a solid contingency of folks here in the community from the east coast and New England, including fellow upstater (is that a word?) @TomIrvine. Thanks for introducing yourself, we're glad you're here!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes

I am envious. I spent a week hiking in the High Peaks back in 1978, including summiting Upper and Lower Wolfjaw and Mt. Marcy, but have not been back since. I loved the area.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I have had the good fortune to be able to climb in the High Peaks for fifty years, they are a very special place to me. Unfortunately they have become so popular that they have become overwhelmed with hikers.  The situation is dangerous especially in light of the pandemic we are all dealing with, but also because so many of the throngs are inexperienced and ill equipped for the hike.  There are times when the last steep bit to the summit of Giant of the Valley resembles the Hillary Step on Mount Everest, a solid line of people slowly making their way to the overcrowded summit. The poor rangers are kept very busy with rescues and giving assistance to these people. I have witnessed so many ridiculous instances in the past decade that it frightens me and it is a wonder that there aren't more casualties. I once encountered two women in high heels nearly a mile down a rugged, muddy trail who asked me if they were on the correct trail to Johns Brook Lodge. I told them they were, but they would never make the remaining 4 miles in those high heeled shoes. I thought that wouldn't be topped, but then one of their teenaged sons showed up barefoot. The Adirondack Mountain Club has instituted a firetower challenge to encourage people to climb the many peaks that have the old towers on the summits and offer wonderful views. That has helped some, but overall the situation is still dreadful with cars parked for miles along the roads near the popular trailheads.  Hope you get a chance to return someday, still worth the trip, just be prepared for it isn't like it was in 1978.

Highlighted

It hurts to read about the overcrowding and ill-prepared, ill-equipped users. From your brief description, I think you have a book in you. "S**t I Have Seen in the Adirondacks in the Past Fifty Years."

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Kato1953 welcome to our online community! Although not quite as far north, I grew up visiting, hiking and bouldering near the Mohonk House in New Paltz NY - it's absolutely beautiful up there!

I believe @TomIrvine has some upstate NY roots as well!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Welcome @Kato1953 !  Your photos are awesome!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Beautiful, I hiked many areas of the Park in the 60's. John's Brook Lodge was my favorite. Gateway to Mt. Marcy and lots more. My father even took us up Algonquin on Memorial Day one year, snow up to the tree tops as he said!!  Many memories of the area.

Highlighted

I'm from Syracuse, the least interesting part of the state. Niagra Falls to West. Catskills and the  Hudson River Valley to the East. Head of the Appalachian Trail to the South. Adirondacks to the North. Gorges and caves, chains of lakes, mountain ranges marshlands. I've been living in Chicago a few decades, and I'll take Chicago over NYC - but I really, really miss New York State.

0 Likes
Featured