Highlighted

Hello from Maine!

My name's Erika. I am an avid hiker and occasional backpacker living in mid coast Maine. I would love to make friends with fellow hikers and perhaps do some group adventures. I've hiked a lot of Maine and some of NH. I've backpacked parts of the AT here in Maine, including the 100 mile wilderness. I've also done Grafton Notch, and the Pemi-loop in NH. I am also down to car camp as well. I am slowly working my way through ME,NH,VT 4000 footers and the rest of New England's 100 highest. On my bucket list is to visit some National Parks out west someday. I also love to travel and have my passport. Also on my bucket list is Chile, Peru, Norway, Iceland...too many to list. 

Highlighted

Re: Hello from Maine!

@benner85 hey! Welcome to the community; we're so glad you joined! And now, don't be surprised if we tag you in threads about Maine, NH, backpacking, camping, traveling, etc!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

Thanks! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Welcome to the Community @benner85 !  I'm also on the East Coast, but a bit further south than you, in Maryland.  If you ever travel down this far, let me know!

Highlighted

What's good in Maryland? I honestly don't know much about Maryland to be honest. 

0 Likes

Well, I'm in Maryland.  😁

Seriously though, for outdoor activities, we have a portion of the Appalachian Trail, conveniently located within the Appalachian Mountain range, the Chesapeake Bay, and lots of other inland waterways with hiking trails and kayaking opportunities.  We have several rail trails for biking. We have Assateague Island National Seashore, with its herd of wild ponies. 

For history buffs, we have Fort McHenry, where the National Anthem was conceived and written; Annapolis, home of the Naval Academy; Havre de Grace, nearly voted our nation's capitol; Antietam National Battlefield; and proximity to Washington DC.

We also have blue crabs and crabcakes, and lots of local breweries and brewpubs.

And, while it's not exactly in Maryland, we are in a great spot to visit nearby Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia and all they have to offer.

I tried to upload a photo of the Susquehanna River valley that I took on my hike yesterday, but I need to resize it to fit.

Let me know if you'd like to know more.  

0 Likes
Highlighted

House Rock.jpg

Highlighted

I should have added a caption.  The above pic is the aforementioned Susquehanna River valley, just north of the Holtwood Dam.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi Erika,

How things are in Maine?  For years, it has been my favorite spot for summer hiking yet with everything going on right now it looks like I am skipping this year, sadly...Hopefully, your summer is still enjoyable! 

Cheers, Alex

Highlighted

Things in Maine are good. I'm still able to get out and hike while trying to social distance. Which is kind of ironic, because I earlier this year I signed up for the Maine Appalachian Trail Club to make hiking friends and be more social. So much for that 😕

0 Likes
Featured
Other boards in this category