Highlighted

Guide to the Wilderness - hiker/backpacker from upstate NY

Greetings to all!

I'm John Staehle, an accomplished day hiker, overnight backpacker and outdoor adventurer.

I grew up near Rochester, NY and over the first years went to the Adirondacks, Finger Lakes, Colorado Rockies, and much more where I learned the basics of wilderness backpacking, canoeing, X-country skiing. Years later I learned survival through the Navy, and coupled with my own growth became even more involved and have thrived in the sport, both wilderness camping and campground camping. Prior to joining the Navy, I had had a chance to lead wilderness trips from the old Adirondack Swim Camp for the Summer of 1969. This was also an opportunity to organize youth groups in travel through the wilderness and thrive. Since the early days over the past fifty or so years, the outdoors has always been my passion, adventure and classroom as I always learning and teaching others on the many wonders of that just around the corner adventure. And if I an allowed to mention that I am published in my own book "Guide to the Wilderness Experience" a summary of all of my own growing up in the outdoors.

Thank you,

John M. Staehle

Highlighted

Re: Guide to the Wilderness - hiker/backpacker from upstate NY

@Former community member welcome to our community; thanks for introducing yourself! Don't be surprised if we tag you in posts for folks asking about hiking/backpacking in/around NY!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

Re: Guide to the Wilderness - hiker/backpacker from upstate NY and NM

Thank you very much! I have to say that I left NY in 1969 but have ideas about the various locations and experiences from the Adirondacks. After many years of canoeing and backpacking the area, I have to say that the lean-to structures were a huge success in transiting areas. I don't know if they still exist but were the saving grace through out the year.

Presently I am in my 16th year residing in New Mexico, recently in Roswell and before in Deming, both gateway cities to Gila NF and now Lincoln NF, both with the greatest scenery on earth. I'll post photos of the areas that I'm familiar with for the benefit of members on here and offer my many years of experience for their better enjoyed visits.

Thank you again,

John M. Staehle  ("Guide to the Wilderness Experience")

Highlighted

Welcome!

Highlighted

Thank you Rob6

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks for sharing this with us and welcome in the community.

Highlighted

Thank you, love S'mores

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Former community member you'll become a "S'mores Maker" very soon; it's one of the first ranks you earn as you participate in our community!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

Sounds great!

0 Likes
Featured
Other boards in this category