Highlighted

Which hiking boot brands, in wide, fit more narrow?

I am size 8.5/41.5.  Almost all regular width shoes are too narrow.  I am aware that wide shoes vary greatly in width ( e.g New Balance are too wide for me; foot moves laterally.)  In your low top hiking shoes, which brands have a narrower interpretation of "wide"?  

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Which hiking boot brands, in wide, fit more narrow?

@demo Hi there.  It may be that your foot is what is called "high volume" (a description of how tall your foot is from sole to instep) instead of actually "wide," which is more of a horizontal measurement.  A high-volume foot can feel squeezed in a regular-width shoe, but can shift around uncomfortably with all the extra horizontal room in a true wide shoe, making you feel like you just can't get it right. But have no fear, there IS an answer! Size 8.5 falls in the standard range for both male or female sizes, and both of my next suggestions here are available in both men's and women's sizes. 

• First is the Salomon XUltra 3 Low, which has a higher-volume footbed in the regular width--room for your feet to breathe!  It comes in both waterproof and vented versions.
  • I also suggest Oboz trail shoes (like the Sawtooth), available in a variety of styles and also in waterproof and non-waterproof versions for men and women.  The advantage with this particular brand is a higher volume within the shoe in the regular size.  I also have found that if you do decide to go with a wide, in answer to your specific question, this brand has a narrower interpretation of wide. Oboz also uses a formed liner in their trail shoes that provides arch support and a three-dimensional feel to the inside of the shoe, which helps to keep your foot locked in and not sloshy.

I hope this helps; happy Trails and Happy Feet to you!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Re: Which hiking boot brands are a more narrow "wide" fit?

@demo definitely check out the Oboz in a wide width, as they will run on the more narrow side of wide!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Featured