Highlighted

When does new hiking gear roll out?

When do you normally see the the annual arrival of new hiking gear like backpacks and tents?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: When does new hiking gear roll out?

@Gary2 Thanks for reaching out!

There are so many factors that go into when you see new gear for the year hit our website and stores. Manufacturing, shipping, processing, prior seasons sales volume, and weather all can play a role in determining those timelines. In a very general sense, we begin to see new gear for the summer begin to roll out towards the end of the winter season. Depending on the gear that could be as early as February or as late as April. The best way to stay in that information loop with your favorite brands is to sign up for their email lists and keep an eye on their websites. Additionally, before the gear rolls out for the season to purchase, often you'll see reviews and profiles of the gear in magazines and on gear review websites.

Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

For my plan of the AT, with spending around $1800 wanted to make sure I was targeting when to purchase to get best options.  Since I dont plan to start the SOBO until 2022, i'll plan to purchase next summery.  Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted

Super cool that you are doing south bound. So few people do it that way. I would add two things to Johns response. Twice a year there is the outdoor retailer trade show (one summer and one winter) where new gear is announced - though it might still be a while before it hits shelves - but since you are watching your budget, when new gear is released, the older models generally take a price cut to clear it out of retail channels. Something else to watch for. 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Please post if you hear when it will be...I'll also watch the REI garage sale 🙂

0 Likes
Highlighted

It varies based on a lot of factors. Garage sales is used gear, but I would watch REI.com for clearance items and REI outlet. 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Absolutely.  Right now i'm leaning towards ZPacks Duplex/Arc Haul, REI Magna 15 bag but will keep an eye on sales 🙂  I plan to buy during the late fall.  Thanks

0 Likes
Featured