Highlighted

Re: What's Your Go-To Camera On The Trail?

Great ideas @Dad_Aint_Hip !  You've made me rethink my inadequacy with my Samsung Galaxy.  😁 

0 Likes
Highlighted

wow! @Dad_Aint_Hip thanks!  I just learned something!  I had no idea I could get a camera app for my iphone, other than the canned app, huh!  I will look into this!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Highlighted

I just downloaded the Adobe Lightroom cc app for my iPhone it was free and now I can take raw photos, fantastic!!

Now I know what I’m gonna be doing for the Rest of the day, LOL

Highlighted

@Philreedshikes - since you have a YT channel (which I'll go and subscribe to momentarily), have you looked at using Adobe Spark? You can shoot with your phone and use it to create thumbnails. It's only $10 month, BUT it comes with Adobe Cloud storage, which will make sorting and cataloging your images in Lightroom MUCH easier.

I am just building my channel (so still getting a library of videos to upload) but the editing workflow I now use is this:

1. Capture in either Camera+2 (stills) or Filmic Pro (video)
  2. Edit stills in Lightroom and video in Premiere Rush and save to Adobe Cloud
  3. Create thumbnails for video in Spark
  4. Upload to YT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)
Highlighted

ok, don't bother with the adobe lightroom cc app, it takes RAW photos and has a lot of controls.....BUT.......you have to have a subscription to their cloud at $10/month to get them off the phone.

So now I've bought Procam 7, for a few bucks, and it works fantastic, for my purposes, which was to see what I could get out of my iphone, which is a lot, almost everything but F stop controls.  So I had to get a remote shutter, if I ever want to do timed exposures or time lapse, like I said MANY options.

All that said, the iphone is still number 3, behind the A6500 and gopro 8 black.

Highlighted

Sony A7 mirrorless DSLR. It has a full size light sensor and, with the proper adapters, I can use my old Minolta lenses from my antique X700. Very light, battery life is exceptional, the Sony lenses are awfully expensive, so I only own a couple, but the ability to use old lenses like my Minolta 30 - 70 macro zoom, or my Voigtlander 12mm wide angle has made it cheap to outfit with a wide variety of glass.

Highlighted

I'm also a Sony mirrorless guy (having come over from my years of shooting Minolta). I found Tamron lenses to be a decent compromise between quality and affordablity. Nothing will compare (IMHO) to the Zeiss glass in a Sony lens but, as you pointed out, they're expensive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)
0 Likes
Highlighted

I love my sony A6500, but it really goes through batteries.

One thing I really love is using the remote control app on the camera to link to my iphone, when using a tripod.  That way I can  adjust the shot and the settings, even in manual, without bending over the tripod.

Featured