Re: What's Your Go-To Camera On The Trail?

The Canon EOS Rebel SL1 is actually a great choice. My brother was given one as a gift and he just can't seem to get over its ingenuity.

Highlighted

@NoahMartin I agree! I've used my Canon EOS Rebel SL1 for both professional and non-professional photography for nearly 6 years and it is still in pristine condition. It might not have all of the fancy features of newer cameras, but its image quality is still incredible and it does the job better than many cameras of its generation. I'd highly recommend the EOS Rebel series to anyone looking for a relatively inexpensive, high quality camera.

www.brynsharpphotography.com
0 Likes
Highlighted

I carry the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4k for video and my old Canon 5d Mkii for timelapse. It is by no means a light camera set up, but I get great images with a lot of room to play with in post. I work in post-production so that part is important to me! I only have a few good hikes down, but I will post my work when I have more to watch!

Highlighted

@bsapp93 Thanks for the post!

Please do come back and share your work when you can!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

I feel so inadequate.  I just use my old Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge smartphone.  

Highlighted

@Rob6 Ha!

Don't worry, I have a Canon DSLR but have NO IDEA how to use it. I'm currently using a several-models-ago iphone and relying on 'portrait mode' to make it look like I know what I'm doing. I have two brothers, both of whom went to college for photography and videography, so reading these threads is going to make me sound way cooler at family gatherings now!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

@Rob6 don't worry! You can still get incredible images using a Galaxy and even an iPhone! 

www.brynsharpphotography.com
Highlighted

@Philreedshikes , I'm actually a professional photographer for a living.  I shoot mostly fashion and models, so most of my equipment is not well suited for the great outdoors.  I'm a Nikon guy (and yes, I know, camera brands are almost a religion).

If I'm doing an easy day hike, I'll carry my Nikon D750 or the Nikon D7000 with a 70-200/f2.8 lens.  It can be quite heavy. So, I don't carry that for anything over 5-10 miles.

On my weekend hikes, I'll carry a cheap Nikon Coolpix that I've had for years.  It shoots about 8 MP which is decent enough for wide shots and printing.  Other than that, the good old smart phone is good enough for social media.

Cajun

Highlighted

My go-to camera is the Canon 7d mark ii its great for wildlife and landscapes.

Highlighted

Wow, I am late to the party but at least I showed up, right?

I have ditched my dSLR gear for hiking and now shoot exclusively with  my iPhone 11. BUT the native camera app is... "lacking" to be polite.

I bought the Camera+2 app for shooting stills ($5, I think) and Filmic Pro for shooting video ($15 - yeah, it's expensive). Both do a fantastic job of breathing new life into the iPhone's camera. My favorite feature of both is (but there are certainly lots) the ability to set and lock the AF and focus points separately.

I bought a smartphone clamp with the GoPro base so that I can use it with my GoPro camera equipment (tripod, etc.) without buying more stuff. I added a lav mic and a $20 video rig for the iPhone as well. 

My entire shooting kit now (rig, phone, external mic, tripod, backpack strap clamp) weighs about half of just my dSLR and the 28 24-7- lens.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)
Featured