Highlighted

What makes a hike spectacular?

Most hikes are pretty fun (even if sometimes the grueling ones are more type 2 fun), but there are aways those special ones that leave you thinking about them afterwards. So what sets one hike apart from another and makes it spectacular? 

For me, there are a few things:

• The views

Living on the east coast, we don't have the same spectacular views around every corner that lots of western hikers are blessed with, so when a hike does provide lots of views and time above treeline, I tend to go back to it over and over again.

• The wild berries

I'm a sucker for berry season. I could easily spend and hour or two in the middle of a hike picking wild blueberries or raspberries.

• The swimming

Finally, I like a nice swimming hole at the end of a long day of hiking. Bonus points if I can jump off a rock into the water.

So what sets a hike apart for you, and elevates it to the next level?

Highlighted

Re: What makes a hike spectacular?

For me, it could be as simple as not raining!  I'm a drought-breaker when it comes to hiking.

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978
Highlighted

The company you keep. I love to see the look on my kids faces when we stumble upon some random awesomeness. 

Highlighted

Nice weather, challenging trails, nice humans, and dogs! I lead a doggy hiking group, and to us, nothing is more enjoyable than watching the unbridled joy of our dogs running around and frolicking.  

0 Likes
Highlighted

Solitude has become a bigger factor for me over the years. Waiting in line on a trail or to see a viewpoint makes me feel like I’m back in the city.  Don’t get me wrong, I like people, but when I hike I’m looking for an escape.

Highlighted

I can tell you! Everytime I see my backpack somewhere in the corner of my room my feet are starting to fidget. It´s the hike itself. If you´re out there with wind, rain and sun on your face and nothing else but wilderness.

Back to the roots of mankind I guess - that makes a hike spectacular for me!

Thanks for that topic.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I'm with you about the berries grzeg_oh, but last July I was hiking through a burn and stumbled across a prolific patch of morel mushrooms.  The hike came to a halt as I picked a hat-full for our dinner (and breakfast) enough to share with friends.

0 Likes
Highlighted

This kind of thing always makes me think of the Mary Oliver poem "How I go to the Woods"

Ordinarily, I go to the woods alone, with not a single
friend, for they are all smilers and talkers and therefore
unsuitable.

I don’t really want to be witnessed talking to the catbirds
or hugging the old black oak tree. I have my way of
praying, as you no doubt have yours.

Besides, when I am alone I can become invisible. I can sit
on the top of a dune as motionless as an uprise of weeds,
until the foxes run by unconcerned. I can hear the almost
unhearable sound of the roses singing.

If you have ever gone to the woods with me, I must love

you very much.