Highlighted

The new Gut-B-Gone backpack

REI should design a backpack waist belt that doesn't make you look fat - you know, the accentuated little paunch you get when you cinch that waist belt.  (Makes it hard to suck in your gut for pictures or encountering other hikers on the trail.)

This is your chance to get ahead of the backpack design curve REI!  Osprey will be green with envy.

Don't forget where you got the idea!

“But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.”― Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huck Finn
Highlighted

Re: The new Gut-B-Gone backpack

1. Your request has been answered -it is called a girdle.  An alternative is to just lose the gut.
Highlighted

Hikermor, please.  1. Girdles are yesterday.  REI doesn't even carry them anymore. This Gut-B-Gone backpack is a forward-looking innovation that will take many trail-users down the trail with higher self esteem and more self-confidence.  And B. this is America.  No one should have to lose their gut.

Dude, where is your sense of vision?

Do I have to take my idea to Ronco? 

“But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.”― Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huck Finn
Highlighted

Speaking of innovative backpack designs, with the increase in popularity of UL backpacking I heard of a cottage company that working on a way to keep those now unnecessarily large backpacks in service by creating and inflatable bluetooth enabled speaker system.  Apparently since every one is using quilt, the sleeping bag compartment is obsolete so their idea is to repurposed with an inflatable folded horn subwoofer.   The preliminary name I heard for it is the Advanced Personal Reflex Inflatable Loudmaker 1.  Just imaging booming your tunes through the canyons educating all your fellow hikers about really good music.  I think it's going to be a hit! 

Highlighted

@OldGuyot This would be a hit for avalanche control. Instead of firing howitzers to set off avalanches they could just send out the rookie ski patroller with Tchaikovsky's '1812 Overture' blasting out of their backpack!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

There would also be more space for the inflatable avalanche flotation thingy (AFT).

0 Likes
Highlighted

I've just ordered the new REI backpack with a small drone element that hovers directly over the pack while you walk, the specs say it is rated to take off 4-6lbs off your shoulders.  The higher priced model says it will take off up to 12lbs from your load, but I'm not sold on that yet, need to see reviews.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Highlighted

AND it shoots video as you hike!

0 Likes
Highlighted

@OldGuyot "Advanced Personal Reflex Inflatable Loudmaker 1" nice one!! Bravo

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

@TomIrvine 

I'll take one. Perhaps we could name it the REI Co-op Washboard A.B.S. pack? 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.