Highlighted

Teva sandal recommendation

Hi,

I have a pair of Chacos, and my feet blister and bleed whenever I wear them more than a mile. I'm looking at trying out Tevas instead for an upcoming trip to Hawaii. I'm looking mostly at the Midsole Universal and Hurricane XLT2 models but open to other recommendations! I'd use them mostly for just walking around and ideally a few shorter trails. Which would you suggest?

Thanks!

Hannah

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Teva sandal recommendation

@Former community member sorry to hear about your blistered/bleeding feet - that is definitely no good! Are you blistering under your arches? On your heels? Knowing the problem spot(s) may help us in recommending other sandals. And as you've discovered with your Chacos, footwear fit is so personal - what works for one person fails miserably for another. We always recommend, when possible, to come in to your local REI store to get fit for the best pair of sandals for your feet. With that said, we've discovered that @OldGuyot is a big fan of Teva sandals so we're guessing you'll get some specific suggestions/feedback from them!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

Thank you for the quick response! The biggest pain points are the straps and the lip on the inner side under my arches

6FF3453C-044D-4E56-A6A2-F6D9DFBD0CAB.jpeg

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Former community member thanks for including a picture - always helps to visualize the issue! So, a few thoughts:

• How long have you been wearing your Chacos? Less about distance and more about how much time have your feet had to "get used" to them? The reason for asking is that Chacos can take time to break in - the straps will soften up, your feet may become more accustomed to the high arch, etc. That said, your feet also may never and/or you may not want to go through that process!
  • Are the Chacos regular or wide width ? The pain on the inner lip of the arch may indicate that the sandal is slightly too narrow for your foot, as your arch should sit inside the lip. If it's sitting on top, you may need a wider version.
  • Finally, the toe loop (while adding an extra attachment point) can create extra areas for friction - sometimes folks who dislike the toe loop model love the models without it...

With all that said, your feet may just not be "Chaco" feet and Tevas could be a great alternative! The sport sandals from Teva, including the Terra Fi and Hurricane models, are typically sturdy options that would function similarly to the Chacos.

Hope that helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

I've been using Teva's for many years. The problem with Teva has been that if you get one you like and come back a year or two later it has been replaced with another model and is no longer available. 

They have many models so I'll give you my experiences. I personally find toe straps uncomfortable but that is just me. I had Teva Katavi's for a number of years and loved them. They had great arch support for me. When I wanted to replace them they were no longer available and had been replaced with the Teva Jetter Lux. I got these and they were pretty good until I managed to cut a strap ( my bad! ). They seem to be gone now and it looks like they have been replaced by the Teva Langdon. Now my previous Teva's were size 9 but a Langdon size 9 is too small. I then got size 10 and they are too big. So the sizing has changed from the older models. Also the arch support is definitely not as good. I can put a Langdon on one foot and an older one on the other and the difference in arch support is noticeable. So I'm sending them back and I wouldn't recommend the Langdons.

So I'm now looking elsewhere. I ordered a pair of Merrill Kahuna 4 Strap's. They are beautiful sandals - much lighter than the Teva's. My only complaint is the grooves they have on the top of the insoles. I would prefer the smooth soles of the Teva's. I haven't taken them outside yet as I'm trying to see if I can adjust to the grooves.

Regarding hiking with sandals I went to Mexico for a few weeks in 2017 and wore my Katavi's constantly except that when I went for a hike I usually switched to sneakers mainly to keep dirt from getting under my feet. I did go for a 2 mile hike once and forgot to switch and the Katavis' were fine except I had to stop to shake the dirt out a few times.

Have fun in Hawaii.

0 Likes
Featured