Highlighted

Seeking advice on a GPS Watch for hiking and running

My wife is looking into getting a watch with GPS for mostly hiking and a little bit of running.  She doesn't want anything crazy, but definitely wants GPS and altitude.  She does not feel like it needs to be able to get messages or calls through her watch. I wanted to see what recommendations you had for her.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Seeking advice on a GPS Watch for hiking and running

Hi there @AustinV!

There are definitely plenty of options in this arena! I would start by checking out our Expert Advice article on choosing fitness electronics.

This article offers some great advice and will likely answer a lot of questions you might have. You will find that the capabilities of these watches seems to be endless.

One very simple design would be the Fitbit Charge 4 fitness tracker or the Garmin Vivosport Activity Tracker.

Another option would be the Garmin Forerunner 45. Although this watch is made with the runner in mind, it will perform in all outdoor activities!

Hope this info gets you going in the right direction and feel free to reach out with any additional questions!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Seeking advice on a GPS Watch for hiking and running

@AustinV I have a Garmin Vivosport that I've been happy with though am strongly considering upgrading to a Fenix now that they are on sale

The vivosport has GPS and an altimeter so can track both during hiking and running also tracks heart rate and pace. It is pretty small and I think makes a good woman's watch. Battery life is also fairly good. If I'm not using the GPS that much I can get around a week out of a charge though definitely need it fully charged for a full hike where I plan on using gps.

Though to be clear with the gps/elevation it tracks it but will not give you the actual information until you are done with your activity and get it off the app. I am thinking of upgrading to the Fenix so I can actually use my watch to navigate rather than constantly pulling out my phone. While you are hiking you just get heart rate, total miles and time, and pace. Here is what the information you get after an activity looks like: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4984145854

Featured