Highlighted

Recommendations on insoles for hiking boots

Hello!

I am sort of in between sizes sometimes like 9-10, and some shoes don't come in half sizes.  I have a pair of boots that are a hybrid between a dirt bike boot and hiking.  They are a size 10, and a little roomy , do you have a recommendation on a supportive hiking insole that fills up a little of the space for a more snug fit?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Re: Recommendations on insoles for hiking boots

@pzulu thanks for the question! One important detail that will influence our recommendation is what kind of arch you have - do you have a high arch, medium arch or are your feet more flat?

You might also consider the Sole insoles - these are a little softer and therefore less specific to your arches and more focused on how much volume you want to absorb: Performance Thick, Performance Medium and Performance Thin.

Hope this helps; let us know if you have additional questions!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

I currently have the Superfeet blue insoles in my La Sportiva hiking boots. How do I know when it's time to replace the insoles? I've had them for 1 year and hiked about 400 miles so far. Both the boots and insoles were new. But I recently started getting blisters on my big toe and heel. I haven't changed socks or my hiking style and this is happening on trails I've hiked previously. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

@MadJ364 Thanks for reaching out!

Generally speaking, you can expect a pair of insoles, like your blue Superfeet, to last you about a year. It sounds like you're right at that point now. That could be the reason you're experiencing blisters, although there are many other factors that could be causing that issue (your feet changing shape, your boots breaking in further, etc). 

One way to check your insoles is to pull them out of your boots and look at the top of them. If you can see a distinct outline of your foot worn into the footbed, it is likely time for a new pair.

Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Thank you! Yes there is a definite outline of my foot. Just ordered some new ones on the REI website. Thanks for you help!

Highlighted

Hi @pzulu thanks for reaching out on Conversations. Depending on the needs of your arch, the Superfeet Green  and Sole Performance Thick  insoles will maximize the volume of your foot bed. For hiking purposes you may also want to look into Oboz O FIT. Whichever one you choose to go with, make sure when you put them in your boots that they haven't taken up too much room. Snug is good, but if your foot is raised too high you could create hot spots on top!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Thank you very much for both of your responses I will be trying the Superfeet Greens , appreciate it!

Highlighted

Blue Superfeet Insoles.  Could not recommend enough.  You can cut them to the specific dimensions of your boot.  I'd advise to change them out just when your knees begin to hurt.  As is with any pair of running shoes.

0 Likes
Featured