Highlighted

Recommendations for good shoes for Rocky/Dry Terrain

Just ordered the Salomon Speedcross 5, but didn’t realize it is not built for rocky/dry terrain. Desert mountain terrain.  Can anyone suggest a shoe for this type of Terrain 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Recommendations for good shoes for Rocky/Dry Terrain

@Stiano3 thanks for reaching out! Curious why you think the Salomon Speedcross 5 won't be good for dry and rocky terrain? The non-waterproof version of this shoe can definitely work for trail running/day hiking on rocky and dry terrain, assuming they fit well! That said, if you purchased the GTX version, they may be overly warm for desert conditions and you might consider exchanging for the non-waterproof version.

Let us know if you want recommendations for other models of shoes for rocky desert terrain - just let us know if you're trail running, day hiking, or something else!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @REI-JenK 
Thanks for responding.

I had actually ordered them (Regular not GTX) and then had one of your associates cancel after I did some digging and found some reviews/info them   

After reading multiple reviews most had mentioned that these were ideal for soft or muddy terrain. Many mentioned they were not good on hard surface. Most of the hiking/running I do are on trails in the desert mountains in Nevada. Lots of hard bulky/sharp rock and loose rock. Almost no vegetation and the trails are very solid packed rock and desert.  

Their appearance definitely looks like they would be good in softer terrain in humid climates.

Would the Saucony Peregrine 10 be a good option for this type of terrain?

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Stiano3 This strikes me as very odd.  I have decades of desert trail hiking experience, mostly in southern Arizona and any of various hiking boots have functioned very well, as well as sneakers and running shoes.  Typically you can go with a lighter shoe since you don't normally need heavy insulation.  Be aware thatit does rain in the desert, often rather heavily, and you may need something different for those conditions.

Almost all the trails I have experienced, desert and otherwise, are "very solid " with a lot of rock.  Lack of vegetation, i.e., brush, is a good thing.

You might want to consider some sort of approach shoe, especially if you are verging on really rocky terrain.  Sticky rubber is very useful of bare rock.  Some approach shoes emphasize hiking ability over climbing capability.  Reviews are available.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Good to know. I think I’ll revisit the Speedcross

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Stiano3 hmmm, interesting. We've reached out to a few of our running experts to ask for their advice, and will reply when we hear back from them. In the meantime, here's an article about the different types of trail running shoes and how to choose a pair - hoping these may help you narrow down your choices! Finally, we definitely recommend setting up a free virtual outfitting appointment so you can speak to an REI employee about your feet and your specific running conditions!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @Stiano3

The Salomon Speedcross 5 has fairly long lugs that help generate traction in a variety of conditions. It would be my assumption that the recommendations against the Speedcross for hard surfaces really refer to using them on concrete, asphalt, or on smooth, bare rock.

The lugs will wear down quickly if worn for road running or casual/work use because the rubber used is softer. Think about a winter tire--the softer rubber improves traction, but when it's dry and flat, the friction wears the tire down quickly because the friction is constant, like one's foot strike on concrete. 

I would assume that the application of friction is more varied on the trail no matter if it's wet or dry, so you shouldn't be grinding down the lugs as much as you would on the road. Therefore, I would agree the Speedcross is a solid choice for any kind of technical trail.

That said, should you want other options, you might look at alternatives that use Vibram Megagrip for their outsole rubber. This rubber is designed to grip well on both wet and dry surfaces, and many shoe manufacturers use it on their most technical trail shoe offerings. Two examples of shoes we carry at REI with Vibram Megagrip are the Altra King MT 2, and the Hoka Speedgoat 4. 

I hope all these insights help guide you when making your next footwear purchase!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

@Stiano3 you got some great advice from @REI-PearlD! We'll add one final tidbit from one of our employees who trail runs and hikes consistently in the deserts of New Mexico - she says that although the Speedcross is a little softer in the Salomon line-up, it should be totally suitable for the conditions you're describing. Our employee often trail runs and hikes in the Salomon XA Pro and has not had any issues with their durability in the deserts of NM.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Stiano3 I am an avid rock climber and hiker, and often times I find myself having to navigate rocky and dry terrain (especially because my home base is Tucson, AZ). My go-to type of shoe are approach shoes, because the rubber used is the same as what you find on rock climbing shoes, meaning that it is extremely grippy and made to stick to rock.

Ever since I discovered approach shoes, I have not used any other type of shoe when I hike, whether it's hiking to reach a crag (a rock face with established climbing routes) or simply hiking in the high or low desert.

I love how comfortable they are, and they provide amazing heel support. When wearing approach shoes, I am confident that I will not slip, even on water-polished rock (and this is an important thing for me especially, as I have a chronic kneecap dislocation issue, something I do NOT want happening in the middle of nowhere haha).

Personally, I love La Sportiva approach shoes (they have options for both men and women), which you can find for affordable prices (especially when REI has them on sale).

La Sportiva's trail running shoes (they call these "mountain running shoes" on their website) are also a great choice if you prefer a shoe that is shaped more like a sneaker/running shoe, and are significantly lighter than hiking boots.

Here is an article I love that compares the pros and cons of hiking boots, trail running shoes, and approach shoes.

Hope this helps!

www.brynsharpphotography.com
Featured