Highlighted

Recommendation for supportive Day Hiking Boots

Hi all,

I'm a beginner hiker currently doing 3 to 6 mile hikes 3-4 times a week.

In the near future I'll be doing longer and longer hikes working my way up to day hikes. 

I've narrowed my hiking boot selection to 3 pair, but not sure which is the best for my situation.

I have high arches and my feet roll inwards (I'm also purchasing support insoles) as well as double knee replacements 3 years ago. 

I need great traction and foot & ankle support. 

This is what I'm looking at. 

Vasque
Breeze III GTX Hiking Boots - Men's

Vasque
Canyonlands UltraDry Hiking Boots - Women's

Vasque
Mesa Trek UltraDry Hiking Boots - Women's

I'm not sure what the difference between men's and women's men's are and have no preference either way. 

Thanks in advance for suggestions and advice. 

April 🙂

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Day Hiking Boots

@ADivineCanine 

April,

Thanks for reaching out! You've made some good selections in these Vasque Boots; we're happy to help you narrow down your choices. 

For starters, for helping with pronation (when your arch collapses and your feet roll inwards), you're on the right track with purchasing supportive insoles. You'll want to bear in mind that some of them take up more volume than others and can sometimes impact the fit of a boot. Feel free to check out this Expert Advice article on How to Lace Hiking Boots for some techniques on how to adjust lacing to accommodate fit. 

In terms of traction and support for your feet and ankles, your best bet will be the Breeze III or the Canyonlands. Both will contain a firmer sole than the Mesa Trek and will give you better stability on the trail. While both of those boots are going to meet your needs, one major difference will be that the Breeze will be designed to ventilate a little better. If you're hiking in warm temperatures or your feet tend to get hot, that would be a good choice for you.

Hope this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

@ADivineCanine Thank you for the follow up!

Great call on the trekking poles, those can be really helpful for balance and stability on the trail. In terms of Vasque boots, we can speak to the rigidity of the soles which is fairly robust and will often translate to stability on the trail. Generally, we have not encountered durability issues with Vasque boots. So much of the life of your boot depends on proper fit and care; to get the most out of your new boots we recommend checking out this Expert Advice article on How to Clean Hiking Boots and How to Care for Leather Hiking Boots.

Hope this helps!

Highlighted

Re: Recommendation for supportive Day Hiking Boots

I just want to comment about my excellent experience for Vasque boots, which I wore regularly for about twenty years.  At that time (roughly 1980-2000) Vasque  boots were the official uniform boots of the National Park Service.  I and my colleagues purchased any of three models, and wore them regularly.  I really liked mine and I do not recall any complaints from others. I made sure I was stocked up when I retired, and I still wear mine when out in the field (these days as a volunteer).

Now times have changed, but i would be very surprised if Vasque quality has diminished.  Alleged fast wear on the soles might be due to changes in formulation of the rubber.  As I understand it, "stickier" rubber, desirable in rock climbing shoes and similar, will wear faster than "normal" rubber designed for less precarious pursuits.

If the internet reviews did not present any hard data in terms of miles traveled, etc. I would be skeptical of their validity.  In any event, boots can be resoled (usually!) and you can fine tune your rubber choice then.  Most decent boots can be resoled at least once, usually two times, before they are shot.

I do not have experience with current models, so things might have changed, but I doubt it.  Other comments welcome....

@ADivineCanine 

April,

Thanks for reaching out! You've made some good selections in these Vasque Boots; we're happy to help you narrow down your choices. 

For starters, for helping with pronation (when your arch collapses and your feet roll inwards), you're on the right track with purchasing supportive insoles. You'll want to bear in mind that some of them take up more volume than others and can sometimes impact the fit of a boot. Feel free to check out this Expert Advice article on How to Lace Hiking Boots for some techniques on how to adjust lacing to accommodate fit. 

In terms of traction and support for your feet and ankles, your best bet will be the Breeze III or the Canyonlands. Both will contain a firmer sole than the Mesa Trek and will give you better stability on the trail. While both of those boots are going to meet your needs, one major difference will be that the Breeze will be designed to ventilate a little better. If you're hiking in warm temperatures or your feet tend to get hot, that would be a good choice for you.

Hope this helps, thanks!

Highlighted

@REI-JohnJ Hi John, Thanks for the excellent advice. I've read several reviews on the Vasque website where the soles tend to wear out fast. Have you received any feedback on that? I like the features and support of Vasque boots but am now hesitant. I also failed to mention that I have weak ankles that tend to roll easily on uneven surfaces. Not the best for hiking, but I'm determined to be in the great outdoors.  I just purchased a set of trecking poles to help with this. Thanks again for your help.  April

0 Likes
Highlighted

@ADivineCanine Thank you for the follow up!

Great call on the trekking poles, those can be really helpful for balance and stability on the trail. In terms of Vasque boots, we can speak to the rigidity of the soles which is fairly robust and will often translate to stability on the trail. Generally, we have not encountered durability issues with Vasque boots. So much of the life of your boot depends on proper fit and care; to get the most out of your new boots we recommend checking out this Expert Advice article on How to Clean Hiking Boots and How to Care for Leather Hiking Boots.

Hope this helps!

Highlighted

Thanks again for the awesome advice and links. I really appreciate it. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

I have the Vasque Saga, which in my opinion is the best boot. I know that this is not the boot options you listed, but I would encourage you to check it out! It is a high rise boot, with lots of support. I have them in women's. 

I use the boot for day hiking, camping, longer hikes that are 8-10 miles at a time, and will be using them on my trip to Acadia in August. The reviews for the boot say that the shoelaces are thin and break, but I have had mine for about a year and have had no such problem! I would suggest bringing extra shoelaces, regardless as they are good to have as back up. 

My biggest advice would be to try on ANY boot you are thinking about purchasing, as every foot is different!

Hope this helped!

Highlighted

Hey, thanks for the tips.  Happy hiking. 🙂

0 Likes
Highlighted

I just want to comment about my excellent experience for Vasque boots, which I wore regularly for about twenty years.  At that time (roughly 1980-2000) Vasque  boots were the official uniform boots of the National Park Service.  I and my colleagues purchased any of three models, and wore them regularly.  I really liked mine and I do not recall any complaints from others. I made sure I was stocked up when I retired, and I still wear mine when out in the field (these days as a volunteer).

Now times have changed, but i would be very surprised if Vasque quality has diminished.  Alleged fast wear on the soles might be due to changes in formulation of the rubber.  As I understand it, "stickier" rubber, desirable in rock climbing shoes and similar, will wear faster than "normal" rubber designed for less precarious pursuits.

If the internet reviews did not present any hard data in terms of miles traveled, etc. I would be skeptical of their validity.  In any event, boots can be resoled (usually!) and you can fine tune your rubber choice then.  Most decent boots can be resoled at least once, usually two times, before they are shot.

I do not have experience with current models, so things might have changed, but I doubt it.  Other comments welcome....

Highlighted

Thanks for the expert input. 

Featured