Highlighted

My hiking shoes are too hot, what can I do?

Hi, I have the Oboz Sawtooth II Low BDry Hiking Shoes - Women's

and I'm wearing them walking around my neighborhood in Berkeley (CA) and find them comfortable but too hot. I think it's the waterproof aspect.  They fit, but I'm looking to get another shoe that is super comfy but good for walking paved streets.  Can you please recommend a shoe?  My foot is on the narrow side, but regular width is fine.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: My hiking shoes are too hot, what can I do?

Hi @nkane! Thanks for reaching out to us.

Waterproof shoes will certainly run hotter than non-waterproof. If the Oboz Sawtooth is working out for you otherwise, then I have great news for you. They come in a non-waterproof option too! If getting the exact same model feels a little much, the Oboz Bozeman is a new everyday urban shoe that still features the support and cushion of their hiking options.

If you are looking to branch out into some different brands for everyday use that still feature strong support, I've had some great personal luck with these shoes from evolv 

I hope this was helpful. Have a grand day!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey @nkane,

It's never fun to have boots that are too hot! If you really like the fit and style of your current hiking shoes but not the heat, Oboz makes that same shoe (Sawtooth Low) but in a non-waterproof/vented version. You could always go to your local REI in Berkeley and exchange them if your purchase has been within 1 year. 

Also, if you want a similar type of hiking shoe but would be more breathable. I would take a look at the Merrell Moab Low Vent and the Salomon X Ultra 3 Low Aero. 

If you want to get more specific help and one-on-one assistance with a hiking shoe fit, you can schedule a Virtual Outfitting Appointment with a hiking shoe expert from the comfort of your home. You could also get the same experience at an REI store as well. 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

I hate to say it, but if you're just walking paved streets, a hiking shoe may not be the best option.  You might actually look into some lightweight sketchers with a foam sole.  I have a pair and they are very comfy, light, and airy.  I cross over with these a bit and run in them because I find they support my legs without pain 🙂

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @nkane ,

Just to throw out another option for you, have you considered trying different socks?  Using wool socks, and maybe even throwing in a thin liner sock may help.  I know that wool may seem counter-intuitive, but it does a great job of regulating heat and moisture.  And they are available in thinner, summer-weight and low-profile options.  Might be worth trying out first as socks are a lot less expensive than new shoes.

Good luck!

0 Likes
Featured