Highlighted

Looking for suggestions of tents longer than 92".

Can you please identify 1 and 2 person tents that are atleast 92 inches that are UL.  Do I need to have a cottage company make it as I can't find it online.  Thanks

Highlighted

Re: Looking for suggestions of tents longer than 92".

Hi @Gary2! Great question. My husband is also very tall, so this is a topic that we deal with as well! While not ultralight, have you looked at the NEMO Dagger 2 tent? It's floor length is 90"; however, with very vertical walls, I think you might be surprised with how roomy it feels. Another option would be to consider an ultralight 3-person tent and sleeping at an angle. Often, going from a 2 to a 3-person ultralight tent gains you a minimal amount of weight. Third, you could use a tarp tent like the REI Quarter Dome SL Tarp which measures 115" x 115" and weights 12oz. If bugs are an issue, you could pair it with a bug net like the 2-person Sea to Summit Nano Bug Shelter which measures 94" in length and weighs only 5oz. Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Do you know any cottage companies (US Only) that customize?  I'd like to take a regular UL tent and extend it by 6 inches....

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Gary2 

This is a unique request, but there may be a couple of options for you. I would recommend reaching out to Rainy Pass Repair and Alaska Tent and Tarp, both of home are US based businesses who work on outdoor gear repair and custom alterations. Their customer service teams should be able to get you some quick answers or even direct you to another business that can get the work done you need.

Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

I reached out to see if they have any models that they work with/on.  I'll post what I find....Thanks..R/Gary

0 Likes
Highlighted

I had the opportunity to stop by Light Heart Gear in Fletcher NC.  I bought a Sonlong6  what a wonderful tent 🙂  and at 100 inches, I have no problems fitting 🙂 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Another 100 inch tent is the zpack altaplex... haven't used it personally.  Darwin likes it.

https://zpacks.com/products/altaplex-tent

Highlighted

@OldGuyot @Gary2 

I immediately thought of Darwin and the Zpacks Altaplex.  However, if you don't want to spend the money on Zpacks, another option would be Hyperlite!  96" long and less than 1 pound!

https://www.backcountry.com/hyperlite-mountain-gear-ultamid-2-mesh-insert-no-floor?CMP_SKU=HMG000R&M...

0 Likes
Highlighted

Oof...wrong link.  Sorry!  Although the Hyperlite Ultamid 2 meets the length requirements, it is actually MORE expensive than Zpacks.  1.17 lbs.

https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/collections/ultralight-backpacking-shelters-tents/products/ult...

0 Likes
Highlighted

this question has come up a lot in the past few weeks, REI used to have the tent sizes and weights on the website, I recommend checking there so you see all the options.

good luck

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Featured