Highlighted

Looking for recommendations for sunglasses

I am looking for recommendations on sunglasses to use primarily for hiking. I'm only a day hiker but will be out for 5-6 hours usually going in and out of shaded areas. There are so many options I'm kind of at a loss as to where to begin.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Looking for recommendations for sunglasses

@TammyS Thanks for reaching out!

You're right, there are a lot of different options for sunglasses! Additionally, appropriate fit can come in to play as well. Your best bet, if possible, is to check out some of the suggestions we make here and consider some of your needs (like how much side coverage you need and whether you have a smaller sized face, for example). Unfortunately, at this time, we are unable to allow customers to try on sunglasses in the store.

Here are some ideas to get you started:

• For transitioning from bright light to shade and back again, consider a pair of sunglasses with photochromic lenses like these. The lenses adapt to the light as you move through different conditions.
  • Personally, my wife, who has a smaller face and struggles with sunglasses that fit, loves her pair of Smith Serpico Slim 2 Polarized Sunglasses. They fit well, are comfortable, and make her look super rad.
  • Personally, I enjoy a pair of Polarized SunCloud sunglasses. Because they are polarized it cuts down glare significantly and their price point means that I'm not overly concerned about protecting them from the rigors of the trail.

Hopefully this helps get you started. Feel free to reach back out with any other questions you may have!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks for the suggestions! I figured trying on would be a no go which certainly does complicate thing but I'm sure I'll find something. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

For hiking get polarized sun glasses. 

If you are going somewhere where lightening is a potential get something with plastic frames. 

Some wrap around can be helpful if it is windy.

Other than that it is all about fit and style.  Sizing has to do with eye spacing and bridge width.  If you have some glasses you find comfortable then you can take measurements and try to find sunglasses that have similar measurements.

Highlighted

@TammyS Great replies already but i'd add to consider the color of the glass.  I use shooter yellow polarized sun glasses that get rid of glare but allow you clear vision.  Since I hike in snake areas, that is very important. 

0 Likes
Featured