Highlighted

Hunting Season

Why don't any of the big brands make clothing that is suitable to wear during hunting season (i.e. orange jackets)  The only orange jacket I can find is a raincoat which I for sure don't want to wear if I don't have to.

0 Likes

Re: Hunting Season

Hey there, and welcome! 

While theres never a problem with spending your time in the outdoors during hunting season, REI does not sell hunting or fishing gear, nor "sports" gear in general. Nothing with a club, bat or ball!  However REI does sell outdoor gear to get you exploring your favorite places! While some brands the company carries might have something suited to your needs, it just might not be an item that is carried in stores. Feel free to check online as there is often more choice than a local store.

Also, orange is NOT the new green, and while fashion isn't the reason to go outdoors it is the reason for sales. So the color you need might not be in stores because of a lack of want from outdoor goers! 

Best of luck in finding what you need! 

Also, if you aren't yet, signing up as a member is always an amazing idea! Dividends each calendar year, no receipts necessary for easy returns up to one year (minus GPS items), check it out! 

0 Likes

During hunting season, you can always recreate in non-hunting areas (National Parks, for instance).  If there are none near you, you can get lightweight "hunting vests" in apprpriate colors to slip on top of you normal wear.

If you are more than a mile from a trail head, the number of hunters you will encounter will be quite small, and they will usually be alert and aware.  The further, the better.

0 Likes

Thank you @hikermor .  I think that @rangerkailyn missed the point.  I believe that the request was for there to be more hiking clothing and gear available in Safety Orange, so that hikers and other outdoor recreationists can feel a bit safer when engaging in our favorite outdoor activities during hunting season.  This was not meant as a fashion statement, but a safety statement.

While I agree that most hunters are alert and aware, not all of them are, and many park systems do allow managed hunting, and there is also the potential for poachers, so it's always best to be as safe as possible.

I personally, as with those in my hiking group, always wear at least one item of safety orange during the hunting season; a hat, a Buff, a t-shirt; but these items have usually been purchased at hunting supply stores.

I often backpack during hunting season, and it's hard to find something suitable. Since my backpack covers my back, what I really need is an orange backpack cover. If you're hiking without a pack, places that sell hunting supplies usually have cheap, light, blaze orange vests and hats. You can probably find an assortment of orange jackets there too. And gloves. I usually just use an orange stocking cap, but would like to have more as well.

During hunting season, I wear an orange stocking cap and have an orange pack cover (when I remember to bring them and it seems it's always hunting season for something.)

0 Likes

Agreed. I would like to at least have an inexpensive wind breaker. When I hike or backpack during hunting season I wear a blaze orange mesh vest and a blaze orange synthetic cap. I put some blaze orange surveyor's tape on the back of my pack because the pack covers the blaze orange mesh vest.

0 Likes

Where did you get the orange pack cover, what is it made of, and how does it attach?

0 Likes

Philreedshikes_1-1575317839326.png

technically it's yellow, and, this is weird, not on the sea to summit website

Philreedshikes_2-1575318084262.png

0 Likes

Thank you much!

0 Likes