cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIKING...KNEE PROTECTION....GRAND CANYON

Having some right knee issues....due to a meniscus tear years ago...and now "Arthur" (arthritis) is setting in.

Will be hiking down SK this coming October....and I'm well aware of the steepness.....For the 7+ hours hiking up and down the GC.....can anyone recommend knee protection....specifically.....a compression sleeve with open patella is what I was considering.    Would appreciate your input/recommendations.

GG

Re: HIKING...KNEE PROTECTION....GRAND CANYON

I have a brand, "Zamst" knee pad - open patella, with adjustabe straps below the patella which I wear on anticipated down hill slogs.  I bought mine at REI but I don't think they carry that line currently.

Best wishes

0 Likes

@GGI don't have a great recommendation for a compression sleeve but also keep in mind that...

1. Hiking with trekking poles also helps with knee stability, balance, and walking posture. If you have trekking poles use them! If not, our Paradise Valley REI store and Chandler REI sell and rent them!

2. Hike with boots/shoes with good torsional rigidity. This will  assure your feet and shoes are more stable keeping your legs working with the proper biomechanics.

3. Lastly it sometimes snows or there is frost at the rim during October especially if you're at the south rim. You may want to bring some sort of additional traction(Yaktrax) to assure you have proper footing.

Have Fun!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

??If there is snow or frost at the South Rim, tgere us aknost certain to be more at the North Rim, which is appreciably higher

0 Likes

I've hiked at GC a lot.  I use two trekking poles, and for my knee I have a slide on compression bandage with an opening for the knee purchased from Walgreens and it works great.