Highlighted

Getting Outside: Hiking During Quarantine

I’m in North Carolina and we are under a “stay at home” order. Getting outside for fitness is considered “essential.” 

Thinking about taking my kids hiking (4 and 6). 

Anyone else getting out and hiking or are you staying indoors?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Getting Outside: Hiking During Quarantine

I think most of the country is in the same position. Getting out on the trails safely should be a no-brainer, but what I'm finding is that my go-to trails, on which I'd at most see one or two other parties on a given hike, are now loaded with big family groups, such that it's hard to pass at a distance without getting off the trail.

It's almost as though people who wouldn't normally be getting outside are finally burned out on binge-watching and video games and getting desperate. Normally, this would be a wonderful thing. But not now.

Our town park and trails, when the weather is decent, are far too busy for my comfort. I'm either passing or getting passed every couple of minutes. Frustrating.

Highlighted

Re: Hiking During Quarantine

We live in California and are under orders to stay home and inside. Except getting outside for fitness is considered essential here also. But all of of parks, trails and beaches are closed. We walk on the one bike path open in our neighborhood and of course streets through the neighborhood. I see many of my neighbors out walking that I don't normally see.

Highlighted

I'm in a semi-rural area of Upstate NY, so I am able to get out for my usual runs and bike-rides without much trouble.  We go for one or two day-hikes every week too.  If anything, I have more flexibility as far as time goes because I'm "working from home."  This means I can grab the nicest part of the day to get out.

“But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.”― Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huck Finn
Highlighted

@TomIrvine  new trail name = “Huck”

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Highlighted

@smithandrew209,

We have had a really long, cold, and dark winter this year in Alaska, where I live, so it's been really challenging to see the sun out and temps rise and not be able to go outside whenever we want. I also have two kiddos (4 and 7) and they desperately want to be outside playing with their friends. We've managed to find some spots close to home that we can get out as a family and climb the huge piles of snow from the plows, ride some sleds, and build snow forts. We have managed to get a couple of bike rides in as a family but as more people get on the trails we're finding those a little bit harder to isolate during. Here's a couple pics from our last adventure!

KidsBike.jpgKidsonice.jpg

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

We lived in Alaska from 1980-1986. Both my children were born there. I remember bundling them up to go outside. But we always went outside!

Highlighted

Love the pics! Stay safe!

Highlighted

@smithandrew209 my 6 year old and I take a daily neighborhood walk (waving to others from across the street but keeping good distance). Each day we take a slightly different route (that he picks) and we do something a little different: kick a soccer ball, bounce a basketball, jump rope, duel with sticks, scavenger hunt, count garbage cans, take pictures with all the different flowers we see. My favorite was probably the one where he told me all about his first apartment, down to the colors he will paint each wall. He also informed me he's thinking he should move into this apartment at age 14...

b and yellow flowers.jpg

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

I've been trying to keep going out but it seems there are extra people out now which doesn't feel completely safe. Went from trying to find the nice days to hike to trying to find the rainy days to hike. Also do my mini "hikes" on the bern over by the woods behind my apartment complex.

Highlighted

I think most of the country is in the same position. Getting out on the trails safely should be a no-brainer, but what I'm finding is that my go-to trails, on which I'd at most see one or two other parties on a given hike, are now loaded with big family groups, such that it's hard to pass at a distance without getting off the trail.

It's almost as though people who wouldn't normally be getting outside are finally burned out on binge-watching and video games and getting desperate. Normally, this would be a wonderful thing. But not now.

Our town park and trails, when the weather is decent, are far too busy for my comfort. I'm either passing or getting passed every couple of minutes. Frustrating.

Featured