Favorite hiking app?

Hi folks,

What are your favorite hiking apps? I’ve been pretty happy with Gaia for tracking my hikes and accessing trail maps (and it seems more accurate than Runkeeper, which I was using previously). But I recently saw someone’s hike on a Relive video and I did like the 3D flyover and photos. Unfortunately Gaia isn’t one of their partners. I’d love to hear what you’re using!

0 Likes

Re: Favorite hiking app?

A lot of the field staff where I work use Avenza Maps. We use the pair "Pro" version, but the free version is still excellent.  It allows a fully offline map interface, and it appears that all of the USGS topo quads and a good number of National Parks maps are available for free.  witht he paid version, we can also upload our own PDF maps, as well as record and share GPS points on any map to share with other users. 

0 Likes

We recently used Alltrails.  Showed us where we were in the hike (like not quite half way).  It was better than the old paper map.

I haven't tried many out myself, but I have heard good things about REI's trail app from other people. I lost the trail in Grand Staircase-Escalante last year, but a family nearby was using the REI app and got us back to where we needed to be.

MK

My go to is TrailrunProject, HikingProject, and MTBProject. REI recently (a year ago, maybe more) took them over and they have a lot of great info on them. As the data is crowdsourced, you get the best info on current conditions, trailhead parking, and distance. Being able to download them for off-line use is also a huge plus. I use all three because sometimes the running one vs. the MTB one will have different trails in a given area. Good luck and have fun!

Another vote for Alltrails... a strong user community, good offline map options, and easy to use. I’m going to have to try a few of these others too though!

I love the REI trails apps, since you can download the trail ahead of time, and it provides useful distance and elevation histograms and can accurately depict where you are along the trail. However, for true navigation I find that a dedicated GPS unit/Topo map (from Greentrails, Custom Correct, CalTopo, or others)/Compass/Altimeter are still the most useful in all situations. Gaia is useful for GPS tracks too, if thats something you're interested in.

"Not getting to the summit is not failure, it is an opportunity to go there again."
-Kilian Jornet-

I just wanted to say thanks to this conversation. I somehow never found out about REI's app, and I'm excited to try it. (Apps, I should say. Here's a link.)

(And various free or cheap offline-topo-map location-aware apps have been a huge step forward in navigating trails for me. My smartphone for them doesn't even have a service contract, but the GPS chip works just fine. Also, I have a legacy "CityMaps2Go" app that is quite good for urban stuff.)

0 Likes

I love all trails, it has so many features. but my favorite is the "lifeline" feature. it will allow some one to see what map you are on and where you are on the map at all times. It also periodically reports an update of where you are as well so they have a time frame when you were in your last location just in case something were to happen.  and it's only $20 for the whole year for full accesses!

Stay true, Stay wild!
0 Likes

AllTrails is what I use as well.

0 Likes