Highlighted

CoVid and JMT - anyone have ideas if I'll be able to hike it this fall?

I have a permit to hike the John Muir Trail with a start date of August 31st.  I've been waiting about 43 years to hike it.  I am certainly hoping for the best, but realistically thinking it will be a NoGo.  Any thoughts on such a timeline?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: CoVid and JMT - anyone have ideas if I'll be able to hike it this fall?

@Rerun A Magic 8 Ball is probably as useful as any answer I could give.  If you think you will still be in a position to do it then I'd keep your plan.  The end of August is still a long way off and we might as well keep optimistic.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Rerun I would reach out to whoever gave the permit, as they will provide the best information. 

Good luck, Happy trails!

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Rerun The situation this fall is essentially unpredictable.  Keep your options open and check regularly.  Don't drink disinfectants - they won't help.

0 Likes
Highlighted

As obvious as that sounds, it never occurred to me!  Coming from Virginia, there the problem of air travel.  Not sure weather to book or not.  Probably make a final decision in mid-June.

Thanks

0 Likes

@Rerun, no, but I do have some questions: were you starting at Whitney or Yosemite?  Did you get the permit via Recreation.gov?  or from the park?

I have normally started at Horseshoe Meadows just south of Whitney, northbound, that way a permit via the trail head quota system is almost guaranteed.

As far as 31 Aug, gosh I hope we can hike by then!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Highlighted

@Philreedshikes My permit is from YNP starting at Lyell Canyon heading South

0 Likes
Featured