Highlighted

Can someone help me with the fit of the Salomon x ultra hiking shoes?

Hi  to be honest I did not follow the Salomon instructions of choosing the right size . My measurement are  left foot 27 cmts. And right foot 26.8.  I purchased from your store size 8.5 us sizing. And my toe touches the front on the shoes. After 8 kms. of hike. I feel uncomfortable.

according my size should 9.5.  I afraid to purchase 9.5   I use medium cushion shocks
its a dificult question  since I do live in Ecuador  and returning the shoes it’s expensive.

I give them away and returned to my Merrel Moab, but no comparison , the Salomon ultra , much better    Difficult question....  from 8.5 to 9 it’s 5mm   Right...?    

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Can someone help me with the fit of the Salomon x ultra hiking shoes?

@peregrino Thanks for reaching out!

Based on the sizing guide listed on the Salomon website, the difference in the length of one's foot when going up a half size in their shoes is .2", which is right about 5mm. We're going to tag a few of our shoe experts here, @REI-PearlD and @REI-JuliE, to see if they can provide some additional insight. Another option would be to set up a virtual outfitting appointment with one of our green vests with experience fitting shoes.

Hopefully we get your questions answered soon, thanks!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Can someone help me with the fit of the Salomon x ultra hiking shoes?

@peregrinoHello, fellow hiker!  I work on REI's Virtual Outfitting team and size people for footwear remotely all the time.  I hope I can reassure you and make you feel more comfortable about ordering the 9.5. 

The most important clue you provide in your description is that you tried the 8.5 and your toe touched the front.  If you hadn't given them away already, I would have suggested you take the insole out of your shoe and stand on it.  That way you can see how much room is between the end of your longest toe and the end of that liner.  When we fit people in person, we look for about a thumbnail's width of space there.  If you were touching the inside of the shoe with your big toe, there likely would have been zero space.  A "thumbnail's width" is approximately 5 mm!  And a full size is approximately 5 mm.  Therefore, you need a full size bigger than you were in:  that is, a 9.5.  I do understand the hesitancy to buy another pair of shoes and the fear of having to give those away as well.  But I hope that this reassures you that only going up half a size from what you were in is not quite enough.  Once you bend your foot inside the shoe to step forward, your toes come forward, too.  You need room for that to happen.  If you'd still like to set up a virtual outfitting appointment before you order, we're happy to help further.  You can do that here:  https://www.rei.com/outfitting.  The appointments are free and use video to help confirm all the sizing details. 

However you decide to proceed, I wish you happy trails!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Featured