Highlighted

Avoiding crowds while hiking/getting outside

Hi all my outside friends!

I know avoiding crowds is the name of the game these days, so I wanted to make sure you saw this article with a few tips about how to find less crowded trails. I mean, I prefer less crowds all the time myself so I'll use this all year round...

https://www.rei.com/blog/hike/how-to-find-less-crowded-trails

Any other tips you use to help get outside with smaller crowds?

Happy trails, my friends!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Re: Avoiding crowds while hiking/getting outside

My anecdotal observation is, it’s not the trails so much as the campsites, usually near water or vistas, you may have to look around a bit to find the solitude or walk a little farther to camp, then return for the water 

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Highlighted

Don't get me wrong, I actually like hikingproject and have even contributed.  But I live in an area that has many trails reviewed, so I go to trails not listed.  My pooch and I often don't see a soul. 

Highlighted

Avoid easily accessible trail heads, especially those on paved roads.  A good topo map is  your friend here.  Trails that are crowded on weekends are often empty mid week

Highlighted

Great post @REI-AliciaS , unfortunately for me, even though I thought I'd followed most of those recommendations for avoiding crowds, The reality was (or seemed to be) that everyone else had the same idea.  Last Sunday I went to a parking area at the end of a small, rarely traveled road, that I might see 3 cars at on a busy day...there were about 20 when I arrived and probably double that when I got back.  I did a 6 mile loop that has about 1000' elevation gain at one spot (more cumulatively).  Any other time I've done this loop I've seen an average total of maybe half-dozen people.  Sunday I counted 81 throughout that loop!

The good news is that I saw a lot of families and everyone was courteous and kept distance when passing. So, despite the volume of people, it seems the outdoor community ethos remains intact.

I guess I have to look for even more remote spots.

Highlighted

@Rob6  man! same here last weekend, went out for a little peace in the woods..and it was CROWDED.

We passed on our first choice, the tent area a few yards from the AT's Cow Camp Gap shelter, after a group of about 15 showed up and pitched tents directly in front of the shelter (bad place) and had to cram all their tents in.

Went to our 'secret spot', but dry, sucked it up and carried about 4 liters 2 miles (whaaa), well wouldn't you know it, 2 other groups had the same idea.  At least it was a big enough area, so we were all spread out a bit.

https://youtu.be/44Ztrmmfi1s

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Forgot to mention: I learned later that the local conservancy that manages the trail systems in the area I was at had to close another, more popular nearby trail system due to overcrowding.

0 Likes
Featured