Highlighted

Advice for June hiking in Colorado: What clothing should I take?

My first hike will be in mid June in colorado.  Plz advise type of clothing I should take.  Trip is a 3 day hike.  

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Advice for June hiking in Colorado: What clothing should I take?

Howdy @Sorryshari ! Let me give you a "Welcome to Colorado" now ahead of your trip! Having lived/played in Colorado for the last 10 years, there is a bit of a saying here: "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes." From a hiking clothing perspective, it will be important to plan for a bit of everything. Here's a fantastic article we put together on hiking clothing...my favorite quote in there is "embrace layers." In our area of Colorado right now, we have about 126% of normal snowpack. That usually means more waterproof layers, traction devices, and trekking poles are needed more of the time while hiking. It's not uncommon for some trails to have snow melt running down or over trails in June. Feel free to reach out to the nearest REI store for any local wisdom or your local park ranger for trail conditions.  Happy Trails!

Jason O.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Re: Advice for June hiking in Colorado: What clothing should I take?

Howdy @Sorryshari ! Let me give you a "Welcome to Colorado" now ahead of your trip! Having lived/played in Colorado for the last 10 years, there is a bit of a saying here: "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes." From a hiking clothing perspective, it will be important to plan for a bit of everything. Here's a fantastic article we put together on hiking clothing...my favorite quote in there is "embrace layers." In our area of Colorado right now, we have about 126% of normal snowpack. That usually means more waterproof layers, traction devices, and trekking poles are needed more of the time while hiking. It's not uncommon for some trails to have snow melt running down or over trails in June. Feel free to reach out to the nearest REI store for any local wisdom or your local park ranger for trail conditions.  Happy Trails!

Jason O.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.