Highlighted

Seeking suggestions for Backpacking Near Sacramento

So me and my girlfriend are looking for a beginners backpacking trip that we could go to for one or two nights. Any ideas? This is our first trip and want it to be more fun than challenging. I was thinking perhaps Tahoe area or Foresthill area.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Seeking suggestions for Backpacking Near Sacramento

@itdawson you might check out a few of the threads on the Greater Sacramento board as some other folks have been chatting about a similar topic! We'll also tag a few folks who many have local tips: @REI-RachelL @REI-AmandaD @REI-LeslieN 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

well, it just so happens that there is a very nice backpacking meetup in your town.  A great place to attend a hike and meet like minded folks, especially in a 'non-threatening' environment. here's a link to their FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/415482972262526/

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Highlighted

Hi @itdawson, I'm not sure how many miles you are looking to do but checkout Lake Aloha.  There are also options around Echo lake.  You can't really go wrong with anything in the Desolation Wilderness!  Keep in mind that it can get really hot hiking on the exposed granite so bring plenty of water! That's also why a hike near a body of water is a good option, swimming!  Have fun!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

You should also know that a permit is required from the forest service, & apparently there aren't any available @ this time.  You could check with the forest service to see where else you could go.  Meeks Bay on west shore is a good place, not sure about a permit there.  I believe it is El Dorado National Forest in South Lake Tahoe, & Tahoe National Forest in North lake Tahoe

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey @itdawson!

One of my favorite more fun than challenging areas is the area around Carr-Feeley Lakes. You do need a 4x4 vehicle to get to the trailhead (or be willing to add 3 uphill miles to your trek). You can stay right at the trailhead and do day hikes or pack in a few miles and set up shop near one of the many lakes along the reasonably-flat-for-the-Sierra trail. I've done the trek with kiddos before and it is lovely!

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/tahoe/recarea/?recid=55594

Happy trails!

Rachel

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Featured
Other boards in this category