Highlighted

Re: What sport do you do and why?!

@TomV  @REI-DannyB @HankG 

Yes! Fat tire biking is THE BEST! One of my favorite aspects is riding through the winter but fat tire bikes are versatile on so many other surfaces when control, stability, flotation, and the ability to roll over almost anything are critical to your journey. 

The hardest challenge of winter fat tire biking is knowing your layering and how your body is going to handle different temperatures. When I lived in Alaska and rode all winter long, I had my layers dialed: I had a below -20° kit, a below 0° kit, an above 0° kit, an above 15° kit, and my above freezing kit. Obviously those were pretty much the same base kit with a layer added for each level, but it took a lot of trial and error to get it right. Too little and you get cold fast, too much and you get hot fast and then cold immediately after. But really it comes down to knowing how your body performs in the cold under exertion.

Here are some pics to spread the stoke for fat tire biking! I'd love to dive in deeper (perhaps in a separate thread) if you want to know more!

Fat tire bikes are awesome on snow!Fat tire bikes are awesome on snow!Fat tire bikes are awesome for kids!Fat tire bikes are awesome for kids!Fat tire bikes are awesome in mud!Fat tire bikes are awesome in mud!Fat tire bikes are awesome on rocks and water!Fat tire bikes are awesome on rocks and water!Fat tire bikes are awesome on sand!Fat tire bikes are awesome on sand!

Fat tire bikes are awesome for bikepacking!Fat tire bikes are awesome for bikepacking!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Featured