Highlighted

Re: What sport do you do and why?!

@Serenity_Luna this is such a great topic! I've got one to add because compared to all of my other activities this is only a recent development. 

Bocce, or at least when I play with my friends, SPEED BOCCE. We started playing with a very short timer to up the level of activity and the results have been satisfying and often hilarious.

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

I have never heard of SPEED BOCCE before, it sounds fun! I might i have to try it with my friends.

Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity  of the human spirit.  Edward Abby

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Serenity_Luna Very simple rules that we adjusted:

1. The game is set up normally, with the jack ball being tossed first, and two players or teams throwing their balls to be closest to the jack. However, when we play each throw is on a 5 second clock (or 3 seconds if there are teams)

2. 1 point is awarded to the team whose ball lands closest to the jack after 2 throws for each side. 

3. Both teams have only 2 balls to throw, so to beat the clock, one team member has to run and grab the previously thrown ball and get out of the way while another player is trying to line up their toss. Any incidental contact between ball and person on the same team counts as a toss. Any incidental contact between ball and person of the opposite team counts as a point for the throwing team.

4. If the second team's first throw doesn't get closer to the jack than the first team, the first team has the option to skip their second throw and hold onto the ball in hopes of disrupting the timing of the other team.

Depending on the circumstances, we play around with how the clock and score keeping work, but its a fun way to add a little chaos to what is normally a more relaxed game 🙂

Highlighted

Thank you so much, I cant wait to try it out 😊😊

Highlighted

Go for it @Serenity_Luna

For safety reasons, non-regulation balls are probably best. I use a set that I purchased for backpacking so they are very lightweight.

0 Likes

Hi @REI-DannyB !  That sounds hilarious!  Nice spin on an old game! I think that would be as much fun to watch as it would be to participate!

@Serenity_Luna , in what area do you live?  Do you have access to waterways to kayak in?  Mountains to hike up and ski down? Forests to hike through?  And any nearby disc golf courses?  What are your favorite sports and activities?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi Rob, I live in Santa Fe, we have some rivers and lakes and lots of forests!

My favorite sports are mountain biking, volleyball, and track and field 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Nice!  I've been to New Mexico, but it was on a business trip, so I didn't have any time to enjoy it really.  I was there a week and drove literally the length and breadth of the state.  From Albuquerque through Roswell to Carlsbad to Hobbs, back to Albuquerque, up to Farmington, then back to Albuquerque for my flight home. A lot of gorgeous scenery.  I hope to get back there sometime. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Speed Bocce sounds like a lot of fun! I'll add that to my Summertime activity list. Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hiking and backpacking (newbie) and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.  Love the outdoors and not really sure when I transitioned from walking around outside to hiking.  I think backpacking happened when I started wanting to go further than I could go in a day and sleep outside.

I've been involved in martial arts since I was a kid (think TV with no remote control era 🙂 ) and have done a few.  Finally settled on BJJ because getting hit started hurting more than it used to and I'm getting old 🙂

Featured