Highlighted

What New Activity Did you Start in 2019?

As we near the end of the year and look ahead to a new one, I like to reflect back and acknowledge the year that is ending.  2019 was a fun one for me as I learned how to mountain bike!  It makes me feel like a kid again, going around turns and over what I call “loop-d-loops" with big smiles the whole way.  I mostly biked with my 10 year old daughter who took to the sport very easily and it was a fun way for us to have some one-on-one time outdoors together.  I was really proud of accomplishing a 15 mile ride in Bend, OR on Phil’s Trail.  I hope to challenge myself next summer to get a few more of those longer rides in.

So, let’s hear it!

What new outdoor activity did you start in 2019?

Me checking out the views and regrouping to make sure I don't fall off the side!Me checking out the views and regrouping to make sure I don't fall off the side!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Labels (1)
Highlighted

Re: What New Activity Did you Start in 2019?

I picked up hiking, and honestly being more explorative outdoors in general. After an extended weekend trip to Seattle and being awestruck by the Cascades, Olympics, and the PNW as a whole, my partner and I decided to take up hiking and adventuring to really experience the world around us. So we bought some discount boots and gear and started exploring the parks around us in the Chicago area. In August I moved to Oklahoma for a job and since being here I've been researching the city parks and state parks around me to find new places to explore and trails to hike. It's been a lot of fun, it's great exercise and being out in the wilderness, even with winter fast approaching, is nothing short of invigorating. 

Highlighted

I began outdoor rock climbing. It has been challenging, exciting and at some points scary as can be. I have always been interested in the "outdoor life" but never pursued it, until now. My only regret is not starting earlier. This winter I will ski and see what that's all about.

Highlighted

At age 62 this year I started slacklining!  I just started this fall, but now there's snow on the ground and I can't put the line up.  I already miss doing it and can't wait until spring.  I want to be the old geezer who sees youngsters hanging out at a trailhead or campground with a slackline and I show them how it's done!

Highlighted

That sounds like so much fun @johnt !! I've tried it once and it was so hard. 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

@REI-KarenR I started restoring old crosscut saws to be used in trail-maintenance. The US Forest service has a lot of information on reviving these antiques and putting them back to work clearing blowdowns.

I am a vigilante trail-crew-of-one and my weapon of choice has been a 30" bowsaw. Now I have a cool old 6' perforated-lance-tooth bucking saw for the big jobs. It came in handy for cutting up a big fat maple tree that had come down over our local bike-path last weekend.

It is so satisfying to go past that pile of logs and know you did it. It is also very satisfying to see that old saw doing what it was designed to do.

Highlighted

@REI-KarenR I know this is a little late but in 2019 a started riding horses. Now it feels like I’ve been riding forever!

Highlighted

@Orb2009 any pictures to share?!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Featured