Highlighted

Prioritizing outdoor activities

Living in Flagstaff, AZ, we have a plethora of outdoor activities at our fingertips. From skiing, snowshoeing, and snowboarding in the winter months, to literally hundreds of miles of hiking, running, and mountain bike trails from our front door, it's hard to decide which activity to do that day!

How do folks pick and choose what to do? Alternate days of riding and running? Pick a sport and focus on it for a week, month, season, etc? Personally, I'm thinking of installing a wheel on my front door and just spinning it in the morning to see where the day takes me....

Highlighted

Re: Prioritizing outdoor activities

@trailbeard, I am 100% with you there!  I am perpetually planning my next outing, whether that be a mountain bike ride, trail run, climbing with friends or camping.  I live near the Smokies and I feel like there are endless places to explore and things to do.  I also feel like there's never enough time to do all the things I want to do!

I also usually have seasonal activities that I take on depending on the weather.  I also sometimes decide what I'm going to focus on by picking an end goal, maybe a Half Marathon or a Duathlon.  Maybe it's seeing how fast you can hike or run your favorite loop.  Or one of my friends recently set a goal to sleep outside for at least 30 nights this year Heart.  Goals, help guide and focus me.

I definitely like to cross-train.  I think it helps ensure I'm using different muscles and that I don't overuse the same ones all the time.  It also helps break things up and I don't usually burn out on an activity this way.

I like your idea of the wheel at your front door!!  Every day is an adventure!  Happy Trails!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Featured