Highlighted

Outdoor Music

I know that getting outside is, in many ways, about disconnecting from technology. While I often like to go full-on primitive, there are times where I like to have a soundtrack. My go-to playlist is full of Lord Huron, and I have some fantastically fond memories of some hikes that include some of these tunes. With that said, I'd like to know what your favorite outdoor playlists include? The birds provide some great melodies, but sometimes human voices and instrumentation can be a great accompanying element on an excursion. 

Highlighted

Re: Outdoor Music

Hey @SaintNick413! Lord Huron is great! I also enjoy their music.

Recently I've been listening to a band called Cactus Blossom. Not sure if you would like it, but let me know what you think!

Happy Trails!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

@REI-EllisB I gave a little listen, and I think The Cactus Blossoms makes me want to go on a road trip!

Highlighted

Great question! This really gets at the heart of why I walk and hike so much. I tend to have a long list of podcasts and audio books that I am behind on. I often schedule hikes just to get a chance to have several uninterrupted hours of focused listening! I tend to switch to tunes when I need to pick up my energy and Lizzo has been a big motivator on the trails for me lately.  

Highlighted

Hey @SaintNick413!

We have GREAT local radio station in Seattle called KEXP, it is one of the last radio stations that is still run by real live DJs! They have many podcasts, but one I like right now is their "Marathon Runcast Vol 684".  It has 3 hours and 45 minutes of awesome new music, 51 songs total, that are a perfect backdrop for running or hiking! 

Enjoy and have fun out there!

Kara

0 Likes
Highlighted

@SaintNick413 this is an awesome question!  @REI-RachelR speaks to my current issue of being behind on podcasts but an all-time favorite for me when I'm hiking and crushing miles is The Pizza Tapes from Jerry Garcia, David Grisman and Tony Rice, its an amazing blend of acoustic folk and bluegrass, and fits perfect into how I enjoy the trail.  The oral history of how this album came to be is pretty cool as well.  I'm excited to see what everyone else is listening to! 

Highlighted

This is probably my favorite question anyone has asked @SaintNick413!!! One of my favorites for watching the sunset over a backcountry lake is Gregory Alan Isakov's album with the Colorado Symphony! Try it out and enjoy!

I actually have some of Isakov's music on my outdoor playlist, but I will have to check out that whole album. Than you for sharing.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@SaintNick413 , what a fun question!

Lord Huron is also in heavy rotation for me. Also in heavy rotation are Wye Oak, Mt. Joy, and San Fermin. I'll also never say "no" to Bowie, with Diamond Dogs being a particular favorite.

I hope you find some musical inspiration from this thread!

Happy Adventuring!

Highlighted

Hey @SaintNick413  - Great ask!  I'm a couple days late to the thread, but wanted to share how awesome this question is!  There are some really great suggestions here already, and I wanted to share out what's on rotation for me. Whether is on a leisurely ride, or hike out here in the DMV, I'm always reconnected to my PNW roots with a little The Head and The Heart (Let's Be still is my favorite song and album).  If I'm feeling super mellow, I'll put on my The Piano Guys station for a little lyric-free zen.  

I love the nostalgic feeling a song can bring me - soundtracks in particular. Whether it's a road trip or a memorable hike with the family, I enjoy the "pre-made playlists" of movies like Dazed and Confused, Forrest Gump, Mad Love, Stealing Home.

Happy musical adventure to you!

0 Likes
Featured