Highlighted

Advice on starting a trail angel group?

Does anyone have any advice on how to create a "Trail Angel" program? I would love to encourage people within the community or local area to get out there, help clean-up and maintain the local hiking, backpacking, and mountain biking trails. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Advice on starting a trail angel group?

@PicklesLife  Hi! did you ever get anywhere with this?  I have some ideas, but would like to know what area/region you're concerned with...i.e. large urban area vs some where in a National Forest

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Highlighted

@PicklesLife Trails are usually on land managed by some agency and they are generally in charge of what can and cannot be done to the trail.  If you are interested in trail maintenance, contact the organization that is responsible for the trial(s) you interested in.  They probably have some kind of volunteer program and if they don't are probably interested in helping getting one started. 

However the term "trail angels"  as I understand it, generally refers to people go to trail heads and junctions and supply long distance hikers with free food or make themselves available for rides into town or even host long distance hikers in their homes.  This is probably done via Facebook groups although I've never looked into that aspect

0 Likes
Highlighted

@OldGuyotyes, that's what I thought.

I see a lot of trail angels set up not only at trail heads, but places where a trail comes out of the forest and crosses a paved road, so it's like....SURPRISE!

Giving free rides to those walking into town is a wonderful way to make a contribution and be involved.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Featured