Highlighted

Urban walking shoes

Like a lot of folks, I'm lucky to be working from home but am trying to get out and walk the neighborhood more to stay active. I'm currently in a pair of Hoka One One Bondi 6's that are wearing out. I'm a heavier guy with low arches and usually run in Brooks Adrenalines. I got the Bondi's as an alternative since my local store was out (pre-Covid). I hate running in them as they're too spongey but love them for walking. I'm mostly curious if there are other options for this kind of use/user. Thanks! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Urban walking shoes

@ajimbert1210 Thanks for reaching out!

We're going to tap @REI-PearlD for this question so she can weigh in with her expertise on the topic. In the meantime, we encourage you to check out these similar conversations:

Additionally, we encourage you to think about a free virtual outfitting appointment with one of our footwear experts. They can talk you through fit and what options might work best for you.

Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

Re: Urban walking shoes

Hi @ajimbert1210!

The Bondi is a great shoe for cushioned running and walking. Generally, you can wear nearly any road running shoe for walking, but if you are looking for a really cushioned experience, I'd recommend the following:

Asics Gel Kayano: This shoe has Asics's proprietary gel in the forefoot and heel, plus a stability post that helps correct overpronation in runners, and provide stability in the walking gait as well.

Brooks Glycerin: The Glycerin is the most cushioned shoe in Brooks's neutral road running lineup. This is one of my favorite shoes for long walks.

Altra Paradigm: This is a favorite shoe among staff at my store for long days standing and working with customers on the sales floor. The shoe features Altra's springiest foam, called Altra EGO, that provides great energy return for walking and running. The shoe also provides pronation control in the form of "guiderails" which gently cradle the foot into neutral pronation.

With all that said, the Bondi is really a special, super-cushioned shoe, and many customers find the fit incomparable to other high-cushioned road shoes. My best advice is to read the articles provided by @REI-JohnJ and try on these shoes yourself next time you're in store.

Happy trails!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Featured
Top liked members