Highlighted

Thoughts on the effectiveness of (neck) Gaiters as masks?

Hi. I walk often in my neighborhood which combines fairly busy streets where I am always wearing a mask, but also many small woodsy trails where I am usually  alone, but Do at times encounter other walkers. All my masks currently tie which is fine for wearing all the time, but inconvenient if I’d like to have it on around people but off when alone.

I was considering a neck gaiter as they look much more comfortable for pulling on and off simply. But I cannot find any information at all online as to weather they are any protection at all for the virus. Do they have any effectiveness? Or are they actually a false security because you might look as if you are taking the precaution but it’s really designed for something else?

For example something designed for runners likely aids in expelling breath and and wicking away that moisture is probably is less safe for those I encounter as it intentionally puts the breath out rather than containing it.

do you know where I can find any information? Are there neck gaiters that would actually work as well as masks for stopping virus spreading? Can you point to any info on that?

thx. . 

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Deede Here is one source:  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html

You might also google 'cdc masks" for additional information.

I understand that the primary benefit of the usual face mask is to prevent you form infecting others (any of us could be asymptomatic carriers).

Of course, it is obvious that neither your nor I, along with other REI patrons, would ever be an asymptomatic carrier - perish the thought!

Your neck gaiter is probably better than nothing, but not much better.  I think I heard on the news this AM that CDC is recommending at least a three layer cloth mask for effective results.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Deede Cloth masks made of dense cotton are effective in reducing the amount of spray you emit as you breath. They're not so effective to protect you from other peoples' spray.

Gaiters are typically made of coated nylon or sometimes a Gore-Tex material. Neither is as breathable as cotton. Coated nylon is designed to be waterproof so it will be completely unbreathable.

Face masks only work when they fit well. They're form-fitted to cover your face and nose snugly. It's unlikely that a gaiter's design would be anywhere nearly as good.

All my masks currently tie which is fine for wearing all the time, but inconvenient if I’d like to have it on around people but off when alone.

I solved this issue with a cotton face mask by adding a standard cord toggle to the ties as in the following picture. (The mask is on the right and has a bagel pattern.)

Clipboard01.jpg

...Wanderer
0 Likes
Highlighted

@Wanderer Heh... I think Deede meant neck gaiters, like "Buffs", not leg gaiters with coated nylon or GoreTex.

It might be fun to try strapping a leg-gaiter to one's face. If the fit was good, Gore-Tex would surely block any spray - as well as a good deal of oxygen I would think.

“But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.”― Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huck Finn
Highlighted

I think Deede meant neck gaiters, like "Buffs", not leg gaiters with coated nylon or GoreTex.

@TomIrvine Thanks. Yeah, that makes more sense. I was trying to imagine how someone would get an short gaiter with elastic around their head. Still, I think a purpose-made cloth mask would be more effective than a Buff.

...Wanderer
Highlighted

@Wanderer No doubt.

Buffs are pretty thin.

Still... one of us should at least try the leg gaiter idea. I think I have an old pair of OR's around here that might work - the coated nylon kind, not the Gore-Tex....

I'll post a picture and maybe road test it at the supermarket to see how it goes.

“But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.”― Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huck Finn
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Thoughts on the effectiveness of (neck) Gaiters as masks?

@TomIrvine you know we'd LOVE to see this picture!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

I honestly went to look for them right after that post, but could not find them. 

I never liked them, they were puffy and baggy, so they're a few years old but never really worn. I think I mighta' just been able to wrap one of 'em around my face.

I could put the velcro in front for the intake of snacks - or perhaps a straw.

I'll keep looking...

0 Likes
Highlighted

Found 'em. This is for you @REI-JenK - and for science.

And sorry for the goofy hijack, @Deede.

I had to wear them upside down to get the velcro to fasten around my head. Having the velcro in front was painful as it pressed the metal hook into my nose. So much for quick hydration while protecting one's self from viruses.

I had hoped to incorporate the strap, but could not get it to connect.ORgaiter.JPGOrgaiteme.JPG

Highlighted

@TomIrvine This is amazing.

Any day that @REI-JenK and science can win is a good day. Well done, sir!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Featured
Top liked members