Highlighted

Suggestions for good cross-training walking shoes

I walk quickly, 3 miles daily on mostly pavement but some sand and gravel.

My New Balance cross trainers are almost worn out and have been excellent.

What would you recommend to  replace them?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Suggestions for good cross-training walking shoes

Hi @Jwilly2 ,

Can you share more about the New Balance trainers you have now? How do they feel? Are they light and flexible, or cushioned and spongy? Do you have a foot that's a narrow profile, or a foot with a wider profile?

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

@REI-PearlD My NB are narrow, light and flexible with strong pronation support and medium cushion on the heel. Size is 8 1/2. Daily use in hot climate.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Jwilly2 ,

Ok, considering all those preferences, here's some ideas to check out:

Altra Provision 4: This shoe is light, flexible, and provides moderate pronation support. It features a balanced cushion, or zero drop, meaning that the level of cushion is the same at the heel and ball of the foot. The forefoot of this shoe fits wider due to Altra's foot-shaped construction which allows for toe splay.

Brooks Ravenna 11: This shoe has moderate cushion and light pronation support. Of the three options, it has the most cushion, and fits wider than the others. For REI, this is an online-only product.

On Cloudflow: While the Cloudflow is a neutral shoe, the construction of the shoe accounts for changes in how the load of your weight is distributed when you step. That provides stability without the use of dense foams or plastic arch supports. It's also a fairly narrow-fitting, springy shoe. 

On Cloud: This is an even lighter, more neutral shoe than the Cloudflow, ideal for someone who likes their shoes very narrow, and extremely lightweight.

Hopefully these recommendations get you started! Don't forget to pair your shoes with some lightweight, synthetic or merino socks to beat the heat!

0 Likes
Highlighted

@REI-PearlD 

Thanks for the options. My current cross trainers are New Balance 504's.

I love them because they are light, good arch and pronation support, heel cushion, and air flow. And really durable - they are finally wearing out after daily fast walking 3 to 5 miles for more  than 5 years.

Which of these options are most similar?

0 Likes
Highlighted

@REI-PearlD 

FYI, all you recommendations are Women's shoes. I am looking for Men's shoes.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hello there @Jwilly2!

I have tagged Pearl in your response so that she can respond with additional advice.  In reading your previous conversations and based off of the criteria you provided, I think you could find yourself happy with her first two recommendations. 

Here are the links to the Men's version of the Altra Provision 4 and the Brooks Ravenna 11.  Sorry for our mistake in providing the Women's version initially.   

0 Likes
Highlighted

Yes, @Jwilly2 my apologies! Definitely check out the links to the men's Ravenna and Provision! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Jwilly2 while @REI-PearlD works on suggestions of specific shoes you might consider, we'll also suggest setting up a free virtual outfitting appointment. While our store remain closed, this can be a really helpful way to get specific shoe recommendations from one of our employees, once we know more about your feet, and we've been getting really positive feedback from customers who've engaged with this service!

0 Likes