Highlighted

Shoes for walking on sidewalks

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Shoes for walking on sidewalks

@JFOC  YES! I always wear shoes walking on sidewalks! (wink)

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Highlighted

😌

0 Likes
Highlighted

I need to replace my shoes. My last three pairs have been Merrills. I usually walk on a treadmill and do classes at a Denver Rec Center. Now I walk in my neighborhood and find the shoes are not giving me enough cushion and support. I have a very high arch so many brands don’t fit me well. I have had little success with Nike.  Might you be able to advise me on possible shoes? Thanks! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

I also do my daily training walks on sidewalks (12,500 steps, although not all at the same time), and know exactly what you mean!

I had been demoting my backpacking shoes to 'walking on sidewalk' shoes, once the tread wore out, but that wasn't working for my feet/knees (you name it).

I love my backpacking Hoka trail runners for the cushion they provide but do not want to wear them down on the sidewalk. 

So last month I got a pair of hoka one one Challenger ATR 5, the cushioning is fantastic, especially walking on concrete.

BTW, these shoes are known for their cushion, which is what I look for.  I do most of my weekend backpacking on the Appalachian Trail (Virginia), which is notorious for sharp rocks, Hoke max cushioned trail runners has made this issue go away for me.

good luck!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
Highlighted

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted

@JFOC thanks for reaching out for advice on shoes that will work well for walking on sidewalks! Without knowing too much about your feet, other than your high arches, we'll do our best with a few suggestions here in the community however we'd strongly recommend setting up a free virtual outfitting appointment at a time that's convenient for you. During this appointment, we can ask a bunch more questions, which will allow us to make better recommendations for your specific situation!

With that said, for walking on sidewalks we often recommend looking at road running shoes (this is a curated search for maximum cushion) as the rubber on the soles is designed for pavement and the cushioning is designed for high-impact activity on hard surfaces. A few specific models you might consider (again, without knowing anything about your gait and only a little about your feet):

Hope this helps to get you started!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

Thanks!

Highlighted

@for walking on sidewalks we often recommend looking at road running shoes (this is a curated search for maximum cushion) as the rubber on the soles is designed for pavement and the cushioning is designed for high-impact activity on hard surfaces.

It also bears mentioning that the soles and cushioning in these shoes tends to deteriorate over time (i.e. get harder.) If cushioning is important then one should plan on replacing these annually even if there's some tread left. I find that when I replace shoes with the identical make and model, the new pair feel a lot softer than the old pair.

...Wanderer
Featured