Highlighted

Re-setting Fitness Goals After Quarantine

How are you all getting back in to fitness after a long time in doors? I pretty much gave up on health while the world has been crumbling but super excited to get back to it. I miss my gyyyyyyym. 😞

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Re-setting Fitness Goals After Quarantine

@Bonfire Who lost fitness?  I actually had more free time to devotee to that end, and I am sure that is the case with others, as well.

Breaking news!  This just in.  Gyms are not completely necessary to maintain or increase physical fitness, although they do offer social benefits

0 Likes
Highlighted

I’m sure you didn’t intend to come off they way you did! You should give it another shot!

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @Bonfire

2020 has been impactful on all of us, in different ways. While some like @hikermor have been able to get outside and continue their fitness journeys, some haven't, and that's OK. For me, I've been running outside more, but I haven't had access to my gym either, and I'm feeling a little nervous about going back and resuming classes.

Here's what I'm planning on doing:

1. I'm going to start where I am, rather than from where I was a couple months ago. Maybe that means lifting less, or running a little more slowly. I plan on getting with one of the coaches at my gym to set new base levels; hopefully your gym has resources for that as well.

2. I'm going to make sure my diet compliments my fitness journey. For me, personally, that looks like drinking way more water than coffee (sorry, coffee), and making sure I'm consuming the right foods and liquids to help me through strenuous workouts, especially during hot summer workouts.

3. I'm going to find some friends! Having an accountability-buddy can go a long way to setting your fitness track up for success. It doesn't even have to be a local buddy. My friends on Strava have been awesome inspirations for me to get out and go on a run. Athletes on Instagram like Courtney Dauwalter and Mirna Valerio also inspire me to get out and get active!

4. I'm going to make sure that my fitness regimen combines both indoor and outdoor workouts. I love my indoor gym workouts and my treadmill running for speedwork, but it's really important for me to be outside because, for me, as is the case for many in our community, a life outdoors is a life well-lived!

At REI, we provide many resources on our Expert Advice pages that can help you prepare for specific fitness activities. We also carry many products that can help support your fitness journey from apparel, to shoes, to electronics, to recovery tools. Hopefully, all these ideas will help you resume your fitness journey!

See you at the gym, and  see you outside! And please let us know how you're doing once your gym reopens!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Featured