Highlighted

Favorite urban trails in the Denver metro area?

As the weather gets warmer, I'm getting so excited for my favorite season in Colorado...summer! 

I've been finding renewed appreciation for some of my favorite outdoor spaces, especially the ones close to home. I run about 30 miles/week, so it's really important for me to have interesting, beautiful, and enjoyable places to run, even when I'm not able to drive to them. Many folks head to the foothills to enjoy the miles of trails in Denver Mountain Parks and Jeffco Trail Systems...but I want to hear about those outdoor spaces you love in the other areas of the metro area!

Right now, I love running on the Highline Canal Trail. The entire trail is a 71-mile long trail system that winds from Waterton Canyon near Chatfield Reservoir, and ends close to DIA near the Gaylord Convention Center. I love running on Trail Segments 12-14 in Greenwood Village and Cherry Hills Village. I've seen owls, hawks, and deer running in Blackmer Commons near Kent Denver School, and witnessed some awesome sunsets behind Mt. Evans from the Marjorie Perry Nature Preserve. I took a picture from near the preserve on one of my recent long runs.

For beautiful views, I recommend starting at the Three Pond Park trailhead on Colorado Boulevard just south of Hampden Avenue, and heading southwest. 

Where do you like to run, walk, and hike in metro Denver?canal.jpg

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Join the community
Other boards in this category