Highlighted

Re: Hiking the C&O Towpath in the Fall - Looking for a hiking buddy

@Irishmenintheend The C&O might be beautiful by that time. I have cycled but not hiked much of it. I can't manage 9-12 days but 2 days and a night are a possibility. Text me your schedule about two weeks out. I would be more interested in the western sections than the eastern sections.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@CajunHiker Are you looking to thru-hike it all, or just do a section?  I'm looking to do an 85-mile middle section of it around the same-ish time frame this fall.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@JeffPPeters I plan on starting Oct 3 in Georgetown.  Trying to do thru-hike in 10 days.  Send me a message if you want to see if our plans align.

Cajun

Highlighted

@JeffPPeters @CajunHiker My window of opportunity will either be the end of September or the end of October.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I'm finishing on Oct 3rd.  Guess we'll miss eachother.  Best of luck.  

BTW - be sure to check the C&O's NPS website on water status - they only have about 50% of their water sources opened.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Does anyone know the TRUE status of the water pumps on the Canal Towpath?  I called the park HQ a month ago and they said that most of the pumps are on, despite what the website says.  I called again a few days ago, then Park HQ said the list on the website is accurate (only 50% open).  Anybody know the actual condition?

I would suggest taking a water filter just in case. I did the C&O/GAP by bike a few years ago, and the status of the water pumps was still a question even back then. It wasn't clear whether they were on, or if they were, whether the water was potable or not, so I filtered almost everything that came out of the pumps. 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

I have filtered potable pump water along the C&O just to improve the taste.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Called the park HQ a few days ago.  They explained the situation & conflicting reports.  Bottom line: Their website listing is current & accurate.  If I find out on the trail next week that it's grossly inaccurate, I'll post again here.

Highlighted

I just got back from my trip.  For the most part, the website is accurate.  However, I did run into four pumps that were ON when the website said they were off & one pump that was turned OFF when it was listed as on.  I any case, I would suggest if you're going on the towpath, bring some methods to carry extra water.

Featured
Top liked members