Highlighted

Hiking the C&O Towpath in the Fall - Looking for a hiking buddy

56 year old male cancer survivor, now retired.  Looking for a hiking companion for a 9-12 day hike on the C&O Towpath starting around the beginning of October.

I'm a sane individual with no desire to discuss the political or economic environment.  If you dig music, sports, and photography, send me a message.

Age, race, gender doesn't matter.  Just don't complain!! LOL!

Hope to hear from someone in the area.  I'm doing about a 3 mph pace.  It's a flat trail.  My goal is 15-20 miles a day.

Highlighted

Re: Hiking the C&O Towpath in the Fall - Looking for a hiking buddy

@CajunHiker this sounds like a great adventure - thanks for posting in our community for a companion! It might make more sense to post this on a specific location board - is there a specific place along the C&O where you plan to start?

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Sorry about that ... The C&O Towpath is located along the Potomac River.  It begins in Georgetown (near Washington D.C.).  It ends in Cumberland, Maryland.  It's mostly flat and quiet.

It's both a hike and bike trail.  There are camping locations (with water and a porta-potty) every 5 miles after the initial 16.5 mile start.

0 Likes
Highlighted

@CajunHiker What an awesome looking trail! 

We have some folks who might be interested, have personal experience, or know of other folks or groups who would be good for you to connect with: @Rob6@Philreedshikes@John@Tomcat@Bonfire@MarkB can any of you lend some expertise or insight here?

Thanks everyone!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks for tagging me @REI-JohnJ .

I have definitely journeyed along portions of the C&O Canal.  It essentially follows the towpath along the canal that is adjacent to the Potomac River.  And it never ceases to amaze me just how rustic it is, and what natural beauty abounds that close to the metropolis that is Washington DC.  Aside from the nature, there is a lot of history surrounding you. Once you get to Cumberland, check out Western Maryland Lemonade, and try the Paw Paw flavored variety.  http://www.wmdlemonade.com/index.htm

It sounds like a great trip for you @CajunHiker , but not one that I would be able to join you in.  I can, however, recommend a local hiking group that you may want to reach out to.  The Wanderbirds Hiking Club.  I am not a member, but have encountered them occasionally.  Great group of people.  Here is their website:  http://www.wanderbirds.org/

Good luck and I hope you have a great time!

Highlighted

@Rob6   Thanks so much for the help!  Even though they are a two hours away, I might be able to find a buddy for the hike.  I wish REI had a buddy system to help us out!

Cajun

0 Likes
Highlighted

@CajunHiker we hear ya! Over time, we are hoping that this community may serve just that purpose - we are working hard to continue to grow our community member base and would love to see that kind of vibrant network that brings folks who love the outdoors together!

0 Likes
Highlighted

@CajunHiker I don't know if I will make it up to you in time but I will certainly be honored to join a path along side you for the time I am able. I am in quite desperate need to completely unplug and focus on excursion stuff. I could also really use some time to sort out my life now at 50, recently divorced, recently stopped fighting for custody of two beautiful son, quitting my present employer of 12+ years and leaving my career in network management behind. 

I will ping you to get link up details on my arrival to D.C.

BTW - I would like to congratulate you on such a momentous accomplishment and you have some great days ahead in your life so be sure to make all your days count and may tomorrow bring you happiness a little more than yesterday. 

Look forward to seeing you sir! JOHN!

Cheers,

D. Cronin

Miami Beach FL

Highlighted

@CajunHiker and @Irishmenintheend if interested, we'll encourage you to connect via Direct Message in the community, instead of sharing any contact information publicly (to help protect your privacy). If y'all end up meeting up, we'd love to hear a story or two (and maybe see pictures)!

0 Likes
Highlighted

@Irishmenintheend That would be awesome!  Drop me a line @ cajunsurfer@gmail.com

0 Likes
Featured
Top liked members