Highlighted

Favorite cycling trails in DC

I recently discovered the Mt. Vernon bike trail. What a gem! What are your favorite cycling trails in and around DC?
At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Re: Favorite cycling trails in DC

If you have a few days to spare you can take the train to Pittsburgh and bike back on the C & O Canal. It's worth it 🙂

Highlighted

@BatmanTheElf  I couldn't agree more!

Highlighted

Definitley agree with @BatmanTheElf  - riding to DC via the C&O is a low stress, low logistical bikepacking trip. 

The W&OD is also great - start in Georgetown on the Custis trail towards Arlington and it connects all the way out to Purcellville, VA. Even better, you can make a loop from DC to Leesburg, VA via the W&OD, then take the Ferry at White's Ferry back into Maryland and connect to Rock Creek back down to the city. 

Despite the traffic, politics, crowds, etc. DC is one of the best biking areas I've ever lived!

Highlighted

@trailbeard Thanks so much! I'm going to check out the W&OD when I have a little extra time. Have you been down south on the Virginia Capitol Trail? I'm wondering if they are similar with the paved path off the main road?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Anacostia River Trail! It's great for visiting Bladensburg Waterfront Park (also the cheapest kayak rentals around DC), Kenilworth Aquatic Garden, Anacostia Park, RFK, Navy Yard, all the way down to Nats Park and the Wharf. Most of it is separate from the road, safe, and very easy to follow.

Highlighted

Awesome! I have July 23rd off and am looking for a new bike trail to explore. This may be the next bike adventure!

Thanks @Whopper 

0 Likes
Highlighted

You can also take the Anacostia River Trail north towards College Park vía the Northwest Branch’s Trail. It’s an easy, great ride with plenty of foliage and a scenic lake near the end. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Mt. Vernon trail IS great!  I frequent the MBT (Metropolitan Branch Trail) and have found it to be a great connector and widely used by DC commuters.

The C&O Canal! Water, animals, shade. Flat. Many sections have light traffic and can be enjoyed to the max!

0 Likes
Featured
Top liked members