Highlighted

Women's Mountain Bikes- Size and Model

Hi I'm looking at 2 bikes: 

CannondaleJekyll Carbon/AL 1 27.5 Women's Bike - 2019 Graphite S #1656210001 

CannondaleHabit Carbon 1 Women's Bike - 2020 Champagne S #1700550002

My current bike is from 2004-ish and while I'm athletic and fit, and live in Truckee full-time, I haven't been biking for quite awhile... I'd like a bike that will be versatile and appropriate for me now as well as to advance into and last for a few years.

I'm 5'5" and about 110-115lb. Would the size S work for me or am I more M size ?

What are the significant differences between these 2 models? I was hoping to demo prior to purchase but with the Covid, there aren't demo/rental options available so I just need to choose one...

THANK YOU!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Women's Mountain Bikes- Size and Model

Hey there @truckeegal!

Thanks for reaching out to us in the Community! Exciting to hear you are getting back on a bike after some time! Both of these options are pretty great! 

Looking at some of the specs, there are many similarities. One difference would be the tire size. Your first option is 27.5” while the second is a 29’er. Larger wheels can provide a smoother ride based off the increased air volume. Think about this as added suspension to the bike. 

Another notable difference would be the fork travel. This is indicative of how much compression happens to your front fork. This is important when thinking about going downhill and can change the classification of the bike. As a result your first option (Jekyll Carbon) is rated as All Mountain with a fork travel of 170mm while the Habit is listed at 130mm of travel and therefore rated for trails but not necessarily “All Mountain.”

These minor differences likely will not have a huge impact on your overall riding at this time. As I mentioned, both bikes are really great!

Before making a final decision I would take a look at our Expert Advice article on choosing a mountain bike. It will help you better understand some of the features that may be most important to you. In addition it will cover fit! It is not a bad idea to take a few basic measurements as outlined in the article, to be sure you are getting the right size. I will mention that I am 5’5” and primarily ride medium bikes from Cannondale. However, following the fit instructions is the best way to get an individual approach to fit!

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

@REI-AlyS Thank you so much for the input! It looks like maybe the Jekyll 2020 model offers the best of both worlds with the 29" tires and 150mm fork travel...but, sadly, it appears you only have the size S and I did look on my own and feels like a M will be the best fit. Is it possible to find out if/when more M will be in stock or better to look elsewhere if I'm wanting a bike sooner rather than later? 

Thanks again!

Highlighted

@truckeegal 

Thanks for the follow up! Just to confirm this is the Cannondale Jekyll you are interested in. 

If it is the correct model, I see that the medium size is not currently listed. Please allow me to see if I can get a potential timeline for you on future inventory. 

I’ll update you here as soon as I know something. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hello @truckeegal!

I have heard back from our inventory team and unfortunately we do not have any medium units of the Jekyll coming in for the foreseeable future. 

As an alternative, they did recommend the two other bikes that we had been discussing, with the Cannondale Habit 1 being the closest match. You get the larger wheels with only a slight difference in fork travel.

Sorry that I didn’t have better news to share!

0 Likes
Featured