cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Weirdest impromptu energy foods on a ride?

Most employees at the Co-Op would probably claim to be a connoisseur of performance foods. I’ve tried a fair share myself. While all these products are great at providing a boost to performance in outdoor recreation or training, the subjectivity comes in finding your favorite flavors and the ingredients that help you. Best practice would be to try a bunch of different single servings, and then buy in bulk when you find what you like best.

But what do you do when you run out, and have a big ride? I recall when I first started cycling years ago, that I was in a situation where I had no food, and was about to head out to ride the “Great Western Loop” in San Diego, CA. While perusing the shelves at the gas station where we were all meeting, I found the “perfect” substitute- PEEPs. Considering that it was after Easter, they were also on clearance. I stocked up with a couple packs of the sugary marshmallow treats in my jersey pockets; Cheap and sugary, but it got me through the ride!

So, what’s the weirdest impromptu energy food you’ve tried on a ride?

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

Re: Weirdest impromptu energy foods on a ride?

Hey @REI-JimL ! GREAT question!

For me, I'd have to say Pro Bars. They are quick and nutrient-dense and they tend to work for me. But I'll be following this post because A.) I love food and B.) I am curious to see how creative people get with nutrition on the go. Looking forward to getting some good tips!

Hey Jimmy!  I'm not ashamed to say that I've resorted to a cherry Home Run Pie from a gas station while on a metric century.  I forgot how amazing and terrible they are all at the same time 🙂

It got me through the home stretch though!

@REI-CassidyT  I already love this thread! I may or may not have had foil-wrapped leftover pizza on a park bench in the middle of a 50 mile road ride 🙂

I love it Smiley LOL

0 Likes

One time, on a really really hot day, towards the end of my ride,  I HAD to stop at the first 7-11 I saw and got a slurpee. It was SO good!!

costco hot dogs. they're $1.50 and gigantic, and there's a costco right on one of the main river trails near me.

Plus its already wrapped in foil! Just tuck that massive roll into your jersey pocket. Genius.

I was on a cross-country road cycling trip and insisted on waiting at a pitstop until 9 AM, when the rotisserie chicken was ready. My co-riders just wanted to just get miles in before the heat of the day beat down on us, as it was already very warm.

They eventually left us: myself, and a friend that I adore to this day. We ate the whole thing in less than 10 minutes and caught up to them, insisting the power of the chicken was what gave us strength.

We pulled for the group the rest of the morning against 15+ mph headwinds. A great memory. 

@REI-JasonO Foil-wrapped pizza is the way to go, every time!  : )