Highlighted

Re: Weirdest impromptu energy foods on a ride?

Slurpee from 7/11 here too!

0 Likes
Highlighted

costco hot dogs. they're $1.50 and gigantic, and there's a costco right on one of the main river trails near me.
Highlighted

Plus its already wrapped in foil! Just tuck that massive roll into your jersey pocket. Genius.

Highlighted

^^^^ This!!! (The turkey sandwiches are also great for really long rides and make all of my riding buddies jealous....)

Not sure if this classifies as weird, but I'll use tortilla wraps with PB&J. No more crushed bread!

0 Likes
Highlighted

I was on a cross-country road cycling trip and insisted on waiting at a pitstop until 9 AM, when the rotisserie chicken was ready. My co-riders just wanted to just get miles in before the heat of the day beat down on us, as it was already very warm.

They eventually left us: myself, and a friend that I adore to this day. We ate the whole thing in less than 10 minutes and caught up to them, insisting the power of the chicken was what gave us strength.

We pulled for the group the rest of the morning against 15+ mph headwinds. A great memory. 

Highlighted

When I was doing long rides back in Iowa I stopped at a health food store one day when I was hungry and had ran out of gels. I picked up a box of Blue Diamond Almond Nut Thins. I ended up loving those for long rides and started ordering them by the case! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Payday candy bars and Dr. Pepper are my go to when I'm out of food. 

Highlighted

Peanut butter and pickle sando on white bread (has to be dill pickle chips).... Don't knock it until you've tried it!!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Iced oatmeal cookies about 50 mile into the Bridge to Bridge in NC made the next 52 miles tolerable.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Not "impromptu", because it's pre-planned, but I used to love carrying a flour tortilla spread with Nutella on my long training rides!  Nutella on anything, really, but the tortillas were convenient becasue they were easy to fold up in foil and stick in a jersey pocket.

As for on-the-go, gas station types of snacks, I used to always go for salty chips, snickers bars, and on hot AZ or NM days, a cold Slurpee *definitely* does the trick!

Featured
Top liked members