Highlighted

Tire pump for an REI brand bike

Hi, I purchased a bike last year and now I need to add some air to the tires. I see the tires has a nozzle-thing i’ve Never seen and my pump won’t work. Can you tell me the kind of pump I need to buy?

Thanks much, Catherine Mathis 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Tire pump for an REI brand bike

Yes, your info is both helpful and clear, thanks so much!! I’m going to check out the pump you recommend right now. I love the bike and really looking forward to getting out for a ride!

thanks again for being here, it IS just like being in the store!!

Highlighted

Hello @cfmathis !

Depending on what type of bike you purchased, you’ll have one of two types of valves for your tube.

Most people are familiar with a Schrader valve. This is a shorter and thicker valve and common on many trail and/or mountain bikes and kids bikes. 

If your valve is on the longer and thinner side, this is likely a Presta valve. You find this on many road bikes. 

Many pumps can accommodate both, sometimes by unscrewing the nozzle and reversing a piece inside to accommodate the larger or smaller valve type.

Let me know which bike or valve you have and I can assist a bit more. Also, let me know what type of pump you are currently using. 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks, the bike has a skinnier valve, so I guess a Preston valve. The bike is an rei brand C T Y, 1.1

0 Likes
Highlighted

@cfmathis 

Great bike! Ok, if it is the Presta valve and it doesn’t appear that your current pump can accommodate both types, here is a pump recommendation .

I use this pump myself and it is easy to use and has been reliable. One thing to note about Presta valves is that you have to loosen the valve at the very top for it to accept air. Looking at the top of the stem you will see it is a little pointy. Simply spin the top of the valve to loosen it...you’ll know the valve is open when you can tap down on the valve and some of the air will escape from your tube.  Once you are done filling the tire, just hand tighten the valve again. 

If you decide on the recommended pump, you will see that one side is wide for the Schrader valve (looks the same as what you fill a car tire with) and a smaller side for the Presta valve. Push the pump onto your stem and then pull the little lever on the head away from your valve. This will lock the pump onto the stem so air does not escape. 

I hope this is clear and helpful! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Yes, your info is both helpful and clear, thanks so much!! I’m going to check out the pump you recommend right now. I love the bike and really looking forward to getting out for a ride!

thanks again for being here, it IS just like being in the store!!

Highlighted

That’s great to hear! Happy to help and enjoy your time outside!

0 Likes
Featured