Highlighted

Tips for a brand new Mountain Biker?

I just went mountain biking for the first time and my two kids LOVE it. Any tips on not freaking out around the bank turns?

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Mountain Biking-New

@REI-KarenR Practice it slow and gradually increase your speed as you gain experience. Make sure all your equipment is there for you so you shouldn't have to worry or think about it when your in the moment. Specifically for the banked turns, don't "fight" the turn. You should be making minimal steering input to stay flowing in the bank. Your whole body should make the turn if that makes sense. It sounds like you have a fun place to MTB at hopefully these words help.

Highlighted

Re: Mountain Biking-New

@REI-KarenR Practice it slow and gradually increase your speed as you gain experience. Make sure all your equipment is there for you so you shouldn't have to worry or think about it when your in the moment. Specifically for the banked turns, don't "fight" the turn. You should be making minimal steering input to stay flowing in the bank. Your whole body should make the turn if that makes sense. It sounds like you have a fun place to MTB at hopefully these words help.

Highlighted

Re: Tips for a brand new Mountain Biker?

@REI-KarenR Agree with @Kevho , don't worry about going fast at first. As you pick up speed, let your body move around the bike so that your weight is above the contact patch of the tire with the ground. This might mean it seems like you're leaning off to the sides relative to the frame. Keeping your pedals level will help avoid scraping them on the ground as you lean. And as you start using the more vertical sections of the banks, I'd suggest trying to enter them high, and you'll end up exiting them low. When you enter low instead, I've found that's when you tend to go high in the exit and gets scarier about potentially going over the top.

Highlighted

Re: Tips for a brand new Mountain Biker?

@TomV and @Kevho thanks so much! Havent been able to practice too much lately but these are great tips! Cant wait to get back out there!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Featured