Highlighted

Tips and advice for EBikes and riding on beaches

I'm looking for information on which ebikes(if any) are best for Washington beach riding on packed sand and occasional rocky spots. Aside from the water itself, any other issues of concern? JD 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Tips and advice for EBikes and riding on beaches

I doubt that the salty environment would be good for your electronics,  Personally, I stay away from beaches, even on a conventional bike, due to corrosion

IANARE

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Tips and advice for EBikes and riding on beaches

Hello @jbdill123!

Thanks for reaching out! This is a really good question that has multiple layers to it. To start, you have two considerations for riding an ebike on the beach: 1) the drivetrain, components, shocks, cables routing, etc and 2) the electric motor, cables, and switches. Also, you have two conditions you'll want to think about: 1) sand and 2) moisture and saltwater. 

When riding in on beaches in Washington, you're going to encounter a combination of both of those conditions, so you'll want to consider what kind of a rider you are now and what kind of rider you hope to be. Are you only going to be riding on dry sand in nice weather in the summer? Do you want to be a year-round rider who will brave fog and rain to get your miles in? Also, how much maintenance are you interested and willing to put in to riding your bike on the beach?

What it basically boils down to is that the combination of sand, moisture, and salt water will be very hard on your bike, both the components of the bike and electric motor. However, that can be mitigated by cleaning your bike after every ride to make sure to clear out any dirt or sand that may prematurely wear out components and to clean off (and dry off) and moisture or corrosive salt that may interfere with the motor. You'll want to use a Teflon lubricant on your chain like Finish Line Wet Lubricant, which is formulated for tough conditions including salt-air coastal climates, remembering to let it dry fully before riding through sand (or it might attract sand). 

Are you looking at getting a Fat Tire ebike? or an mountain ebike?

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Featured