Highlighted

Road bike pedals

Hello,

Does anyone have a recommendation for pedals for my road bike that I could use with a normal shoe but then also clip in when I go on longer rides? I use the bike to commute to work where I’ll wear my normal work tennis shoes. But then, on the weekend I’ll go on longer rides and where my clip in shoes. I’m hoping to find one that works with Shimano SPD. 

Thanks! 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Road bike pedals

Hello! There are some great options available which allow you to clip in on one side, and also have a platform with some grip on the other. The only downside is they add some weight and bulk, but often make up for this in their versatility; you can do a longer ride clipped in, but also wear shoes when heading to the coffee shop or grocery store. We carry a couple brands in most stores, I would call or head into your local REI and one of our bike staff can show you a couple options. 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

Shimano XT XC are my favorite SPD pedals. They're inteded for mountain bike racing, but I use them on my road and touring bike. Huge difference from the cheaper Shimano pedals. 

Hello! There are some great options available which allow you to clip in on one side, and also have a platform with some grip on the other. The only downside is they add some weight and bulk, but often make up for this in their versatility; you can do a longer ride clipped in, but also wear shoes when heading to the coffee shop or grocery store. We carry a couple brands in most stores, I would call or head into your local REI and one of our bike staff can show you a couple options. 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

I added the Shimano A530 SPD Sport Road pedals to my old road bike, which makes it great for commuting etc.

https://www.rei.com/product/132427/shimano-a530-spd-sport-road-pedals

I have been using Shimano M324 SPD Pedals www.rei.com/product/668198/shimano-m324-spd-pedals on a Trek DS for the past five years, including a trip from DC to Pittsburgh via the C&O Canal and Great Allegheny Passage as well as an Adventure Cycling weeklong trip around Williamsburg, VA. After I make camp, I can ride with Teva’s or Crocks if I make a short trip to the store or a restaurant. I will also wear Teva's or athletic shoes on short trips with my girlfriend who is not an avid cycler. I am also covered in case I drivee to a trail head and forget my clip ins.

Have you tried some good flat/platform pedals? I've used SPD for years, but made the switch to flats to try them about a year ago (on both MTB and road) and never looked back. I've never slipped with the good pedals as the spikes are very grippy. I can pedal with any part of my foot (allowing other parts to rest - amazing on those longer rides). And I can wear ANY shoe...including the always comfortable Vans/Converse.

There are several youtube videos and articles that debate flats vs clips. To each their own. Use what you like, just don't discount one until you've tried it. We still have this freedom of choice. LOL.

@Ekuzco -- right on. LOVE me some platforms...for me, the ultimate commuter bike pedal. 

Not as huge a fan for longer-distance road rides, though, which I think the OP was hoping to do. In that case, there are dual-sided "campus" pedals with a platform on one side and an SPD latch on the other. 

0 Likes

Shimano A-530s for sure! 

0 Likes

As others mentioned, the Shimano hybrid pedals (https://www.rei.com/product/668198/shimano-m324-spd-pedals) are great. I too use my bike for exercise as well as commuting and errands, and I put these on a few years ago. They are pretty heavy as far as pedals go, but seem to have lasted very well.

0 Likes

Agreed. I've been riding on Shimano SPDs for miles and miles. No complaints.

0 Likes